Can't keep alk or calcium up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's the concentration levels for calcium chloride? No ice/snow in Flroida so, we dont have calcium chloride in stock like that..lol

I'm not sure. I just found this article and decided to give it a try. It's still mixing right now. Following the recipes there it apparently gives either a 37000 or 18500 ppm of calcium in 1 gallon of water

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

IO is is usally high on, alk and low on calcium. Odd numbers. Buy a different salt mix and alternate them.

The only thing I can attribute the odd readings to is an improperly mixed part in my bucket of salt. I bought it back in May and had completely normal readings from it when I started with it.

I was planning on buying a 200g box of IO reef crystals tomorrow. Would you have any suggestions on other salt mixes I should try?

Those are the recipes I have used for ages. I have used reef crystals for many years as well with no problems. Just shows you should test your first batch of SW when getting a new mix.

Any of the reef grade salt mixes should work. My favorite is oceanic, but it's a little low on alk. Not the best choice for you right now. Rc should work fine.

Well, I did a water change with the crazy water and it bumped my parameters up into the acceptable range; so hopefully my softies and duncan come back out to play and my tank stays that way although at this point I don't have high hopes of that.

Those are the recipes I have used for ages. I have used reef crystals for many years as well with no problems. Just shows you should test your first batch of SW when getting a new mix.

I did test the first batch waaay back when I got it but it must have settled out over time. It takes me a lot longer to go through a bucket of salt than you or X :)

If those are the same recipes you use then I guess I will stop worrying about nuking my tank with them then :)

Update: Been dosing the two part for a few days now and am having great results. Everything is bouncing back nicely aside from my duncan which I don't think is going to survive :(

But anyways my readings are up to:
dKH - 9
Calc - 400
Magnesium - 1380

Thank you for the help guys :)

Back
Top Bottom