Can't keep alk or calcium up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had some issues before with my alk dropping too low and managed to fix it with adding some sodium bicarbonate to my tank in the past. Now I am having a dip in both my calcium and alkalinity with my dkh measuring at 5 and my calcium at 340ppm.

I've attempted to add kalkwasser to my tank by slowly dripping it but that hasn't solved the problem at all and in fact my alk dropped another point since yesterday.

I have a 20g mixed reef with a 10g refugium.

I don't want to add too much kalkwasser because I am worried about making things worse if added improperly.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should try next?

If your test kits are accurate, then I would purchase a pair of dosing pumps and drip 2 part. What is your mag level?

Just went out and bought a red sea test kit and came up with

1400 magnesium
320 calcium
6.3 dKH

Does that match your current numbers from the other test kit?
You can get a 2 part kit from Bulk Reef Supply. They even sell dosing pumps.

It's close enough that I accept its numbers. I was using the API test kits earlier.

Wouldn't kalkwasser suffice to dose for both the aIk and calcium?

Kalkwasser is for calcium only. You can use baking soda for alk. I would guess your pH is also low since it depends on alk. Best way to be back on track is do a large pwc. I would raise the alk to right level fist before dosing calc.

Kalkwasser is not really for raising numbers. It's for keeping them stable. I would use a 2 part dosing regimen or a better salt mix closer to NSW.

Kalkwasser is not really for raising numbers. It's for keeping them stable. I would use a 2 part dosing regimen or a better salt mix closer to NSW.
Agreed, it is also a different type of ionic calcium. If you need to raise ph when raising alk (Part B) use sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) but if you want to raise alk without as much ph increase, use sodium carbonate (soda ash). You can turn baking soda into soda ash by baking it in the oven for an hour to drive some of the C02 out of it. Since Kalkwasser also raises ph, you might consider using the soda ash. Use calcium chloride to increase calcium (Part A). BRS sells the chemicals as a kit. X is also right that a salt mix that has calcium chloride in it already is a option for starting out with higher calcium.

Good news is it's almost impossible to raise calcium to too high levels, it precipitates out. Alkalinity on the other hand can be lethal if it gets too low and it isn't good for it to get too high either.

Last edited:
Good lord there is soo much misinformation out there concerning the topic.

The good news however is that I bought an alkalinity supplement as soon as I set up my tank although I can't remember what its called off the top of my head. Although I dont have anything currently for calcium since Kalk apparently won't cut it.

I guess my next step is a large water change tonight.

So on a suggestion from another aquarist I tested my freshly mixed water and came up with some.. surprising results. I double checked them each with my red sea kit and confirmed with my API kit so they are accurate readings.

Salinity - 1.026
Calcium - 520
Alk - 14dkh
Magnesium - 1640
pH - 8.6

I did however pick up some calcium chloride today form home depot so now I just have to mix them.

So on a suggestion from another aquarist I tested my freshly mixed water and came up with some.. surprising results. I double checked them each with my red sea kit and confirmed with my API kit so they are accurate readings.

Salinity - 1.026
Calcium - 520
Alk - 14dkh
Magnesium - 1640
pH - 8.6

I did however pick up some calcium chloride today form home depot so now I just have to mix them.

Wow what salt mix is that? All those readings are super high...

Crazy, you must have a bad batch. I use IO salt too and I'm lucky if my alk hits 8, my calcium is usually around 370 and mag at about 1250....

Morton Safe T Power... I got a 50lb bag of the stuff for $9 so I don't think I will be running out anytime soon

What's the concentration levels for calcium chloride? No ice/snow in Flroida so, we dont have calcium chloride in stock like that..lol

IO is is usally high on, alk and low on calcium. Odd numbers. Buy a different salt mix and alternate them.

Back
Top Bottom