Can't keep snails / crabs alive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL, I am going to cry. That shrimp it killed is the same exact one that just vanished from my tank the other day. Holy crap!

I am going to catch this sucker today and take him to the fish store. Wish me luck. Will give me a chance to resculpt my rocks again too. :p

Ok sorry about that Vanphyre. Yesterday`s 14 inches of snow had me busy. Yes your readings look pretty good. The goal of nitrates is to get them to 0 but 10-15 is manageable. The tank pics look great. Very impressive. Sounds like you already got some great advice. I am a little concerned what the stuff growing on your sand is. Hard to tell from the pic but what color is it?

No problem Mike, that is just a tad bit of snow lol :) Thanks a lot on the tank look feedback! I hope I can get it looking good again, am in the process of taking out the rocks and coral. Caught the Pistol Shrimp, his butt is going back to the fish store. Water is cloudy, hopefully the fish will be ok!

Edit: No other shrimp found unless they were really really **** good hiders in the center of the rocks or something. I put everything back, prob have to rearrange again once I can see better. :p

Maybe you can see the stuff on the sand better with this pic. Let me know. Not really sure what color, it's kind of reddish / brown... It used to be growing on a rock...and no idea how /why, but it all fell down onto the sand...

Snapfish: Share:Registration

It does not really look like cyano. Is it growing upwards? Does it have any structure to it...like a macro algae of sorts?

Cyano really looks like a slime where your stuff does not. I would try to cut back on excessive nutrients and try to siphon that stuff up next time you do PWC`s.

Don't think it was Cyano either. I used my algae scraper to poke at it and it all came up in one big sheet. Pretty stury stuff, oh well it's gone now. :)

Will probably pickup a cleanup crew package in a couple weeks. What do you think of this one? Would cost me about $90. It was recommended for a 30-90gallon tank.

Dwarf White Leg Hermit Crabs 20
Blueleg Hermit Crab 20
Porcelain Crab 1
Coral Banded Shrimp 1
Emerald Crab 5
Turbo/Astrea Snail 20
Cleaner Clam 2
Nassarius Snail 10

I would cut down on the crabs,,,hermits, etc get a package with more algae eating snails.
Did you guys see what we did to find out what was killing your snails, crabs. We had to take away the things we had control over...the water parameters, feedings, new additions, etc and then we could go to the next level and see if you noticed any sites or sounds and bingo I believe we got it. Sometimes it takes more information, but that is the reason we ask so many Questions.
Good luck with the new CUC when you get it. Be sure to acclimate over a longer time both temp. and PH and water mix.

It's really appreciated Thincat! Gonna take it slow on the adds. Maybe 10 nassarius, 10 turbo, a cleaner shrimp, and 10 hermits. Want to add a Sixline Wrasse as well. Have room for 2 more fish, or 3 really small ones. Not adding any fish yet until after my snails have worked for about a month. lol

Oh, here is a new pic after I redid the rocks from catching the Pistol Shrimp. I might like it better now, but not sure. :)

Attachments

• New Rock Scaping 2010 small.jpg
    New Rock Scaping 2010 small.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 268
Change is good. Tank looks great. Keep up the good work and don't forget to "Enjoy!".

Hermits crabs love to eat snails (at least in my experience). More snails and maybe the dwarf hermits. Scarlet hermits supposedly are better than blue legged.

Declaring victory in 2 days eh? I think only time will tell. But I would ask this, if it is the pistol shrimp, why are we contemplating adding another known predator of snails, worms, shrimp.... A CBS.. If you do, you better feed him good and regular...

I wouldn't add the CBS period but if I was to add it I'd certainly add more snails first and see if what I think I solved is actually solved.. Snails are cheap to buy and ship.

IMO hermits are better cleaners than snails.. I willingly sacrifice some snails for my hermits.

Sorry, but what does CBS stand for? I checked the acronyms but it's not listed there. Are you talking about the cleaner shrimp?

I got this real bad feeling that the CUC deaths will not stop. I doubt it was your pistol killing that many snails and crabs. Nice video though. Never knew they could do that to knock out, but still don't think it's killing the CUC.

Hope I'm wrong. Good luck.

LOL, yea it's definitely too early to tell, I have my list much smaller now. No more predator shrimp allowed. :) Debating some Scarlet hermits now, as Captain said they are good cleaners.

10 Nassarius Snails
10 Turbo Snails
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Cleaner Clam
1 Six Line Wrasse

I only know of one person who declared "victory" to early and that's life. no one said it was 100%. I was just showing how the process works. Work with the known and then eliminate the unknown. If you don't explain the process, how is anyone going to learn. Lets not "kill the messanger"!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom