Can't keep snails / crabs alive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't understand why we nit pick. we should teach and it someone makes an error in typing or such send him a private message instead of racking him over the coal. It would be much better in the long run and the group would be closer together.. IMHO.....
PS, never heard of a half turbo doing any better then a whole turbo. Hahahaha lol

Vanphyre, hope you know I meant do 5 turbos instead of 10. Looking at the cleaner clam, I think it's just a name that sounds attractive. It's a filter feeder, just like any other clam, or tube worm, or lots of coral that get food from the water column that we often don't even see. I'd go for a prettier clam if I were you that filter feeds also.

TC - ???? Maybe you send me a PM since I have no idea what you're talking about. Got a feeling it's about something I said. Again, I have no clue.

Guessing it was me.. Not killin the messenger just tryin to stop the execution of the pistol... From my Clue boardgame days.. I think it was not the Pistol, in the aquarium, with the ...errrr pistol?

Ahab, Don't worry, the Pistol is not being Executed. :) He is being traded in to the local Fish store, prob for some snails.

Thanks Ray, I'll start with 5 turbos and go from there. Will also research some cooler clams, was reading up on them and websites state that they help keep the Nitrates down. If you have any other addition suggestions please let me know. :)

Those cleaner clams bury themselves in the sand, never to be seen again... until an open shell makes its way to the surface.

Finding and correcting the source of the nitrates is your best bet. I've got to imagine you would have more than a few clams to effect nitrate levels though. Anyway to add macro algae to the system. Maybe an HOB fuge? I'll have to look back thru the thread or into your tank profile to get more clues as to where it's coming from.

How often and what do you feed again? What kinda CUC is currently in there? So much for me looking back huh? :)

LOL, no problem. I feed frozen brine shrimp every other day now instead of every day. I also attach with a clip a strip of algae for the Sailfin to nip at and remove at the end of the night.

What's left of my CUC right now is: 5-Nassarius Snails, 1 Sand Sifting Starfish, and 1 Turbo Snail.

See my signature for everything running my tank. I just installed a new heater last weekend too, and the temperature stays steady all times of the day now. Water is way clearer than it was a few weeks ago, I can definitely notice a difference. Doing another 10% water change today. I will run more Nitrate tests this weekend.

Get a small net and rinse that frozen brine in FW too. That water its in is full of phosphates and will create a whole new set of problems before long. Al lot of folks don't like them for what they do to snails, but IMO hermits are needed to get to those small bits of food that get wedged between rocks that the fish don't eat. That accumulation can cause nitrates. And I see you're already getting some crabs. Good. Also consider a serpent or brittle starfish as they are constantly moving around the tank foraging for leftover food bits. Stay away fro the green brittle. They get HUGE and are agressive IMO.

Also, don't just rely on the brine/meat. Might wanna mix some vegetable matter in with it. Look at zoe or some other liquid vitamin and Garlic Guard (immune system booster) to add to that food mix. Your fish will go bonkers over it, especially the garlic.

Last edited:
Thanks a ton, that is awesome advice. I do rinse the brine over a sink to unfreeze it, so without knowing it I'm doing the right thing there. :) I will purchase some garlic guard and look into the vitamins. Also the vegetable matter, hopefully they have it at my local pet shop.

My wife wants a Blue Linkia starfish, would that work or should I tell her to wait til we upsize the tank one day? Will research the Serpent/Brittle starfish when I get home.

Thanks again. Finally having fun with the tank again now that I'm getting it under control. The members of this forum are incredible, I would have gotten out of the hobby if not for this site!

I have no experience with the linkia stars, but I think they need very stable water conditions, and acclimation is critical. Not sure either if you should do both a linkia and brittle or serpent in a 46g tank. The linkia will move very slowly. The others will move around very quickly at times for food. I used to hold my food in a pincher and watch my stars come almost running out from behind or under the rocks to feed.

Either Formula One or Formula Two (whichever is the green one) will work mixed with the brine. Brine alone is like feeding your kids potato chips. Absoulutely no nutrient content.

I have had my blue linknia for 4 yrs now but they are not easy. They need a well established tank of at least a yr and can not be exposed to air. They are very sensitive to nitrates and need to be at 0 in your tank to have one. BTW here is mine.

000_0252.jpg

One word for your Photo... Beautiful! Would love to get to that level one day, hopefully when I can get a larger tank going. My 46g tank has been running for at least 5 years, but might be too small to keep every parameter stable at all times for the Linkia. I'll have to wait.

My clown has been there since day 1 though, how long do these guys live? He is impressive, even survived a 12 hr power outage a couple years back. :)

Where would I find Formulae 1 or Formulae 2? Is this a standard and my fish store will no what I'm talking about? Might order online too if they don't have the stuff. (last year my fish got all their nutrients from flakes, which I learned is not good due to Nitrate increases). So will mix the formulae and garlic with the brine / vegetable matter from now on.

how long do these guys live?

This coming up march my Tomato clown fish will be 12 yrs old. Dont know how long they can go but I hope it`s a while longer.

009_648830.jpg

This coming up march my Tomato clown fish will be 12 yrs old. Dont know how long they can go but I hope it`s a while longer.

009_648830.jpg
12!? Congrats on that one Mike, that is some great fish health care you got right there!. I hope my Ocellaris clown has an equally long and fruitful life.

Yes. Standard stuff. Ocean Nutrition is the maker.
Aquarium Fish Foods: Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Frozen Food

However, I like the solid pack, not these cubes sicne they are stuck together with gelatin. The solid piece in the bag can be easily broken off and the gel won't drive you crazy.

I found the Formula Two at my fish store, thanks for the info! They only have the cubes, and I can see what you are saying about them. It's a pain to break it down into smaller pieces. Gonna mix up my feedings between this and the Brine Shrimp.

Been using the Kent Garlic Xtreme, they love it! I still am not sure which vitamins I want to get. Everyone recommends different ones. Zoecon, Vita-chem, etc. What ya think?

I use "reef plus" myself. Just get one with the newest date on it. That would be the freshest one. They are all good. IMO

Back
Top Bottom