Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

can't keep soft corals???

Was just wondering if it's true that if you don't have a sump, you can absolutely not keep any kind of corals. Was told this today by one of the guys at my lfs. I don't think he was the owner...just one of the guys working there and he tried to sell me a sump, a custom built case to hide it since it won't fit in my stand, and the drilling ($149 for the 1st hole and 49.99 for each additional...they would come to the house and do this while the tank is up an running)

I actually stopped in there real quick today to ask if I could remove my hob filter since I purchased a great skimmer. He told me I couldn't get rid of that either. Kind of weird that he was so adamant about everything he said today....was almost arrogant about it. Didn't give me any reasoning at all...just talked to me like I was an idiot.

I have read that if you have a good protein skimmer and lots of circulation and rock that you really don't need anything else, but nowhere in there did it say that you can't keep softies....any clarification would be much appreciated

Old 12-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi me being a newbie aswell I can only add that my local fish shop has a three foot marine tank,without a sump and without a protein skimmer and they have soft corals absolutely thriving in there The tank is light by T5s and has two external filters on - i intend to find out more but the shop has been rather busy lately so a conversation has been rather short!!!

Old 12-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's a complete lie. The guy was trying to sell you a sump and that is why he said you can't keep corals.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeladawng View Post
Was just wondering if it's true that if you don't have a sump, you can absolutely not keep any kind of corals. Was told this today by one of the guys at my lfs. I don't think he was the owner...just one of the guys working there and he tried to sell me a sump, a custom built case to hide it since it won't fit in my stand, and the drilling ($149 for the 1st hole and 49.99 for each additional...they would come to the house and do this while the tank is up an running)

I actually stopped in there real quick today to ask if I could remove my hob filter since I purchased a great skimmer. He told me I couldn't get rid of that either. Kind of weird that he was so adamant about everything he said today....was almost arrogant about it. Didn't give me any reasoning at all...just talked to me like I was an idiot.

I have read that if you have a good protein skimmer and lots of circulation and rock that you really don't need anything else, but nowhere in there did it say that you can't keep softies....any clarification would be much appreciated
The guy is 100% lying straight to your face on every question you asked him or hes the idiot and doesnt know what he is talking about.

There is absolutely no reason why you have to have a sump in fact most beginners and people without the room start this way.

Also with skimmer and live rock thats all you need. The hob filter can be removed, however you they can be useful for running carbon and gfo or if its large enough you can convert them a little refugium.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those prices to drill your tank is a ripoff u can do it yourself for 20-30 bucks ...and as for a tank having to have a sump this is false also sumps are deft better imo but not a must ...
Old 12-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

My sumpless 24 g

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121220_161845.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	138796
Old 12-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yup, guy fed you a load of bull. I have a sump but its mainly for additional water volume and to hide my skimmer.. that's all it does for me
Old 12-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
The guy is 100% lying straight to your face on every question you asked him or hes the idiot and doesnt know what he is talking about.

There is absolutely no reason why you have to have a sump in fact most beginners and people without the room start this way.

Also with skimmer and live rock thats all you need. The hob filter can be removed, however you they can be useful for running carbon and gfo or if its large enough you can convert them a little refugium.
I have been having issues with nitrates...not real bad but they are like 20-30 and that is why I wanted to know if I could remove the hob...it's an emporer 400 and I just think that is where my problems are...I guess I am just scared to take it off the tank "just in case". It came with 2 extra cartridges that can be opened up to put stuff in....I don't like the catridges with the carbon on one side and blue fuzzy stuff on the other...seems like that is what is causing my problems. Can I take those out and just run the ones that I fill myself? and what would you suggest putting in them? there are 2...one for each compartment. I also have a bag of chemi pure in each compartment behind the combo cartridges but they obviously aren't doing any good if they are supposed to get rid of nitrates and mine are high...either that or I have them in the wrong place....
Old 12-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bio-Wheel filters will definitely keep the nitrates coming. I'd just take the wheels off and run it only for circulation and mechanical and chemical filtration. It'll be better with the wheels off but useful for the rest.

The guy at the store was probably trying to be helpful but he was giving you stupid advice. Sumps really are wonderful but not essential. Just pop the bio-wheels out and do a nice water change, feed very very lightly and see if your nitrates improve. They really should. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

How bugs this tank sorry if I missed this and what and how often do u feed yur fish ..

Tags
coral, corals, soft, soft corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com