Can't rase Calc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sevise

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last week I finally got calc and alk test kits, from salifert. The first tests showed the calc at 320 and the alk at 3.2. I did some research and it looked like the solution was to dose calcium chloride. I picked up a bag of calcium chloride 94% pure. The first night I dosed 2 cups in a gallon of RO/DI. Next day I tested and the results were the same. I thought maybe 2 cups in 200gal isn't enough so I dosed about 6 cups that day. My calc and alk stayed at 320/3.2 but my tank got somehwat cloudy and my pH dropped from 8.1 to 8.

The pH came back up and the water cleared. I'm guessing calcium started to precipitate out of solution. However given the conditions of calc 320, alk 3.2, pH of 8.1 that shouldn't of happen. I was away for the weekend s I didn't dose. However as I was checking out the tank today nearly all my Astraea snails have noticeable new very bright growth areas on there shells. So it looks as if they absorbed some calcium.

Does anyone have any idea on whats going on? Are my tests kits off and the levels are highly than what I think? Is there some other factor causing the calcium to precipitate out of solution?

Some other info not sure how much it applies. The overall water volume is about 200gal, the only other addative I use it kent iron 2 drops every night for my macro.

My instincts tell me you have low Magnesium and need a few water changes to get everything back in balance.

I do fairly common water changes. Would getting a Salifert Magnesium test kit and if the Magnesium was low start dosing ESV B-Ionic Magnesium be alright?

Yep, definitely test the magnesium levels. Mg determines how much Calc can be dissolved at a specific Alkalinity. If the tank got cloudy, then the calc was precipitating out of solution, and since your alk level seems decent, low Mg is the likely culprit.

Back
Top Bottom