Can't see my sea cucumber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTrav13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went out of town for a week. My tank has been cycling and I can't seem to find my sea cucumber. I rearranged the rocks just as I got back and hadn't seen him since. It's only been a day but I'm worried that I crushed him or he died while I was gone. Any suggestions on what to do, is there an invert that I could get that would eat him?

I also added 19 lbs of sand before I left. If he's trapped under there will he get out? what's the best way to go about finding him?

Please provide a picture of your tank. Sea cucumbers tend to hide during the day. I have to look very hard to find mine, but usually easy to spot after the lights go out. I'm a little confused about "My tank has been cycling" For one reason, why subject any critter to a cycling tank... another thing, sea cucumbers eat waste. If this is a new tank with new sand, you are starving it. I put a tiger sea cucumber into a 29G Biocube, and while the tank was still young (after the cycle of course) and it started shrinking :( I moved it over to my 38G and since then it has split and each half is as large as the original. I actually sold the one half back to the store since I didn't think there would be enough food for two that size. How much rock do you have in there? Your best bet since it is still cycling is to find it. That may mean removing the rock, but..... just my opinion.

Sorry it was rather late when I posted this. I bought the tank about two months ago, it took me a day to set it up and it had been established a year before, as I bought it from someone. I waited two months for my water to level off and he was the first thing I put in it. My levels are fine, I've been going really slow. I brought two clowns back from vacation and added them last night and they're fine, but I still can't seem to find the cucumber.

I did add 20 lbs of sand right before I left, but I kept about an 1 1/2 inch of the previoius owners sand that from my experience, seemed to be loaded with goodies for the cucumber. I put half the rocks on one side and took half out, and then added the sand. I saw him attached to a rock as I placed him back in. That was the last time I saw him. Could he have burrowed himself to the old sand to eat it? I'll upload pictures asap. He's also a tiger tail.

Around everywhere. The baseline was somewhat uneven so I just filled where needed to make it a flat surface. I found my sea cucumber. He was under a rock, and he's alive and kickin! Thanks for your help guys

Back
Top Bottom