Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

jesus, i did research before buying my 750 AND before my 425, and i still could not find out a general answer

i read like at least a dozen times that people were happy with 2x425 though so i settled with that. I think 2x750 would be too much, there is no way my corals would survive that, because some of them can barely handle a single 750 XD. One of the reasons i lowered my gph is for the sake of my soft corals as well. I didnt like the idea of a single jet stream going through my tank, and read the koralia 425 will disperse it and give a more ocean like stream
edit: so i woke up to my powerhead aiming at the surface, to somehow aiming down...my surface was not rippling

immediately tested my ph and it was lower than it was yesterday, id say there is a weak tint of purple, maybe 8.0 but definittely lower than yesterday. I like that these powerheads are small but they do not stay in the direction i point them, very disappointing i will have to fix it when i get home

Old 01-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

One Mp 10 and your troubles are gone. The pH at 8.0 isn't bad at all. Your actually right in the range. Stability is key. You don't want drastic swings.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

its a swing because a few weeks ago i think it was near 8.2 8.4

but i can leave it at 8.0, because i sure as hell am not buying more powerheads lol
Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairenoid View Post
its a swing because a few weeks ago i think it was near 8.2 8.4

but i can leave it at 8.0, because i sure as hell am not buying more powerheads lol
Ph will always suffer as long as there is a covering film on the surface.

As for people being happy with 2x 425's it all depends on the setup, rock work etc. no two tanks are the same.

Personally my 20 long needs more than 2x 425. If it were a regular 20g it would probably be ok but since its a 30" 20 long a 425 does not have the muscle to reach across the tank well.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
One Mp 10 and your troubles are gone. The pH at 8.0 isn't bad at all. Your actually right in the range. Stability is key. You don't want drastic swings.
Gonna buy him one Con?? Maybe throw an MP40 my way while you're at it lol
Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer View Post

Gonna buy him one Con?? Maybe throw an MP40 my way while you're at it lol
I actually have an MP10 coming up for sale

About 4 months old.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 01-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Upgrading??
Old 01-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I couldn't swing an MP yet, so I put my Koralia 1400's on a Hydor wave maker..alternates every 60 seconds. Works awesome for the $70...
Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for all the help guys, right now i got almost as much surface agitation as my 750, im not exactly sure what people look for but my water maybe ripples half an inch above my tank, before, it was maybe an inch to 2, in fact my splash guard always had salt on it and it is no wear near the ripple. Is it enough to just point at the surface and make it move fast or does it have to splash up and down and create bubbles

even though its rippling, i dont see bubbles, never have

here are the pics of my current set up, i wanted 2 split up flows versus one direction for the sake of my fish and corals(midas couldnt perch on a rock without being blown away). The flow is pretty strong in front of the powerhead but i can tell that in the middle area its very less, although it can still kick up the sand

Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer View Post
Upgrading??
Mmmmmmmmmmaybe

Tags
powerhead, surface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com