Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

cant seem to get my powerhead to ripple the surface

my new powerheads (x2 425) are a lot weaker than my 750 koralia. I am putting them in random spots to test it out, and i cant seem to set it up in such a way where there is flow everywhere AND its rippling the surface

is it mandatory the surface is rippled? i have one on the left back towards the wall pointing diagnally towards the middle of my tank

the other is on the right pointing straight across to the otherside, aiming a bit up

the only way to get the surface to ripple is to bring it to the surface and aim it straight up

any suggestions for pointing them or placing them

Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank? Can you take a picture?

You want some surface agitation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2106386238.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	145010

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3531612225.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	145012

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

20 long ill get pics tom

i noticed my surface has so many white films, when i break them with my fingers they re-appear, not sure how to set up my powerheads

even though they are so weak, my mushroom looks like its got a lot of flow but it has nothing pointed at it

ughh lol XD

i fed my fish to see the flow and some how it looks circular, ill just assume its gona circle no matter what. I also noticed that my food doesnt reach the bottom any more, what do i do in that case. My midas gets the food before it drops to my ywm right now
Old 01-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairenoid View Post
20 long ill get pics tom

i noticed my surface has so many white films, when i break them with my fingers they re-appear, not sure how to set up my powerheads

even though they are so weak, my mushroom looks like its got a lot of flow but it has nothing pointed at it

ughh lol XD
You gotta play around with them. One on each side pointing at the glass center usually works well. Again it will depend on your rockscape.

Picture when you can.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok i like the idea of symmetry

place them both at opposite ends and point towards the center glass, but the question arises once again, what about not rippling the surface?

will my tank suffer in any way? lower ph?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
ok i like the idea of symmetry

place them both at opposite ends and point towards the center glass, but the question arises once again, what about not rippling the surface?

will my tank suffer in any way? lower ph?
You can point one higher then the other to agitate the surface and the one lower will hit the lower area. Both however will meet in the center causing a random flow.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok the left one is in the top back corner pointing to the middle sandbed, and the right one is in the top right corner pointing at the middle surface. I got a bit of surface agitation, not much. My ph simply can't aim straight up it starts to malfunction :/. So far i like it, but i did notice my midas getting blown while eating, which never happened before. He seems to be able to swim in it though. My pulsing xenia went from pulsating like its having a seizure to barely moving at all, hopefully it gets used to the change.

btw these powerheads dont really shoot a jet stream, its more like a radius of strong wide stream that barely goes far.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
ok the left one is in the top back corner pointing to the middle sandbed, and the right one is in the top right corner pointing at the middle surface. I got a bit of surface agitation, not much. My ph simply can't aim straight up it starts to malfunction :/. So far i like it, but i did notice my midas getting blown while eating, which never happened before. He seems to be able to swim in it though. My pulsing xenia went from pulsating like its having a seizure to barely moving at all, hopefully it gets used to the change.

btw these powerheads dont really shoot a jet stream, its more like a radius of strong wide stream that barely goes far.
I never liked the nano power heads, that's why I got the MP10.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you still have the 750? If so, I would use that and get another 750... I have a 55 and use 2 Koralia 1400's with a wave maker that alternates between the 2, kind of an inexpensive way to have the effects of an MP40...
Old 01-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok

For starters yes surface agitation is important. If that film covers the surface it prevents gas exchange keeping the surface gently rippling will prevent the film from covering the surface.

Secondly, if food will not settle to the bottom then that is what you want. Flow needs to be able to keep food and detritis suspended so it can be skimmed or filtered out. If you have dead spots food and detritus will settle there and rot.

2x 425gph may not be enough to accomplish all this. Im my old 20g long i had 2x 550gph and a 425 blowing behind the rocks.

Tags
powerhead, surface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com