Capacity of AquaC Remora????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saberry

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm reconsidering getting the Red Sea Prizm Deluxe in favor of the Remora. The specs for the Remora list it as a 75 gal tank limit. I know for most filtration equipment, it is typically recommended to get gear that is rated for more than the actual size of your tank. My tank is a 75gal, will this provide enough skimming? BTW, I also have 115 lbs base rock (no live yet) and an Emperor 400 - just started cycling this week.

I have a 40 gallon, and went with the prizm deluxe, but several told me they didn't think it would be enough for a 40 gallon tank. I think you'll wanna either look at the prizm pro deluxe, or somethin more like a remora or cpr.

also, 115 lbs of dead base rock...how much LR are you planning to get? It sounds like one would typically want 2/3 of their rock to be LR.

I never liked how skimmer builders put a capacity rating on them. Whos to say that a skimmer of brand X will be good for a tank of size Y. I mean there are so many factors. You have the quality of the local water supply, you have the fish load and coral load on the tank as well as the frequency of feedings. You have amount of rock and the amount of growth on those rock as well as the type of substrate in the tank. YOu also have the factor of what OTHER filtration is going on with the tank.

Add up all those factors and you can see how a skimmer for tank size Y for one person may not work as effecently as the same skimmer for the same size tank for someone else.

Overall for a 75 I do feel the remora C is at its upper limit but it should work. Shoot it will be better than no skimmer. I dont like the prizm pro as much as the remoa and honestly you would be better served by a skimmer rated for a 125 or 150 gal tank.

If you buy the pre-filter box for the remora, it will make the remora function 20% better than without. I have a 65 gallon with a remora and the pre-filter. The company claimed it will do a better job skimming with the pre-filter box, and i see the difference, they were very obvious. Have you considered getting the Remora PRO?

I'm very happy with my remora, most of stuff I've read favors the remora over the prizm. I've heard good stuff about the CPR bak pak too.

I feel the standard remora is good for up to 55 gallon. For a 75 i wold run a pro.

fishfreek said:
Overall for a 75 I do feel the remora C is at its upper limit but it should work. Shoot it will be better than no skimmer. I dont like the prizm pro as much as the remoa and honestly you would be better served by a skimmer rated for a 125 or 150 gal tank.

What HOB would you recommend for a 75?

Edit: My computer is running really slow today. You guys are answering my questions before I can finish asking them. :lol:

Malkor, iamb not in a big hurry so I will probably just start with about 40 lbs live rock to get things going. I only just decided to do reef at all. I was going to do fo but the call of the reef seems to be to great. :wink: Still, I am just getting started at sw, so I need to pace myself and not get in over my head.

saberry, Opionions vary widely in a hobbies but seemingly moreso in this one. I ran an aqua C urchin (in sump model of the remora) on a 72G with a 70G sump and I feel it performed flawlessly. Like frishfreek, I don't always agree with the manufacturers rating of products, but in this case I feel it is right on. Sure a pro model would be more effective, sure an overflow box will increase production and sure there are better skimmers. But IMHO, if you are fairly dilligent with your water changes and closely monitor water quality a remora will be a great addition. I do truely believe there is such a thing as overskimming. As for a HOB filter, I wouldn't run one at all or if you did simply run it without media and use it for GAC or the occasional water polisher. Get LR for your base rock and keep an eye on your levels and you'll be fine.

R-

sumphead, I already have 115lbs of base rock; previously live rock so it is very pourous. Won't I still get the same biological advantage with this rock? I am going to add about 40lbs lr as well - I know it will take some time to get good corraline algae growth but that's OK. As far as HOB, I do have the Emperor 400 running with wheels and carbon for now while I am cycling, but I may remove the wheels later once I'm sure I have good baterial growth established in the tank.

Well yes and no. If you believe Dr. Ron Shimek (article seen herehttp://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/feature/index.htm ) He basically explaines how it is the "life" of the live rock that actually keeps the water flowing through the live rock that allows the proper denitrification. I do believe it will help but it will be awhile before the rock "live" enough to do the proper job. But id you don't get too ahead of yourself and build you bio-load slowly it should work out.

R-

Man I wish I could type as fast as I think... sorry for the typos. Instead of editing I leave it for bearfan to feast on. :wink:

saberry said:
I already have 115lbs of base rock; previously live rock so it is very pourous. Won't I still get the same biological advantage with this rock?
Yep, over time it will be just as good as any LR.

Remember the only reasons for getting LR are a jumpstart on bacteria, coralline algae and the possible critters. Base rock can be seeded with all these things and just requires a little more patience.

captivereefs said:
I feel the standard remora is good for up to 55 gallon. For a 75 i wold run a pro.

I just ordered the remora pro, along with a few other things- thanks for the advice and the discount. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom