Carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flynnternet

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm using a Fluval 304 with carbon in the all the baskets. I was wondering how often I should be changing the carbon. I also plan on running a phospahte sponge in there, since my phospahtes have been holding steady at 0.5 and I already use RO water.

Also, what brand of carbon do people recommend?

Every couple weeks is a good top end.. the carbon is usually done adsorbing the junk by then.

I use black diamond or whatever decent brand is on sale.

I have never seen any realtime evidence of carbon "releasing" OC's back into the water after it is "done" adsorbing waste compounds (which it does partially by a chemical bonding of the waste to itself and partially by mechanical filtering) and sometimes I have left a can of carbon in my magnum 350 running for months because I had traded out a bunch of guppies and the bioload got low for awhile. The water stayed fine for me and I believe I had just regular mechanical filtration for that latter time after the carbon's adsorption properties were done for.

Reefrunner69 changes his GAC out once a week in his nano which would be a really safe bet if you dont mind spending an extra buck or 2 a month (which to me is worth it if you have high dollar corals and stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom