Carbon and Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I put what i would consider cheap carbon in my filter last week and ever since I have had algae covering the glass very lightly ever since, I'm trying to track down the cause and the only thing I cannot rule out is the carbon, I have read that cheap carbon can carry a lot of po4 and is this the cause. I know I'm not overfeeding the tank and I'm using rodi water,new bulbs, etc. etc. etc. Has anyone had this problem with carbon. I'm ordering reef carbon tomorrow just to have in case I need it again to clear up my water again. This has me puzzled.
I removed the carbon and changed 25 gallons of water tonight to check to see if this helps.

Just for what it's worth my water change and removing the cheap carbon cured my algae problem, I came home today to a clean and basically algae free proble, I truly believe this was the culpret as I experimented with several changes and nothing worked untill removing the carbon, I would recomend using reef grade carbon in the future.

What kind of carbon did you use? I have some Kent in my sump right now...

Honestly I feel stupid for not posting it. I'll look at the box when i get home and post tonight.

Could it be that the carbon is doing it's job in making the water clearer which will improve the lighting inside the tank to feed the algae growth?

Back
Top Bottom