Carbon dosing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donniea1800

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need a little advice on carbon dosing on my 50 gallon tank. My levels are not bad but I am currently running at about 5ppm nitrate and 0.4ppm phosphate. I do weekly water changes, run a skimmer, and run GFO in a reactor which has helped with my phos alot. I am thinking about going with the Red Sea product as I dont want to deal with the uncertainty of vodka or vinegar.

My question is that I do not have a sump so my skimmer is a HOB. It is a Reef Octopus BH1000 which is rated a 100 gallons and perfroms quite well at pulling about skimmate. Do you think this would be an adequate skimmer for carbon dosing? Its about the best HOB I could find.

Also I keep mainly LPS, some softies, a clam, and 2 nems. Anyone had issues with dosing kepping any of these? Should I try to keep some trates in the water for the softies and the clam? How much should I shoot for?

Check out my tank setup with nosump!! Are you using RO/DI water?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes I have my own RODI. I check my water often with a tds meter. I am stocked on the heavy side so I think that is why nitrates hover around 5. I think carbon dosing can get me the rest of the way.

Back
Top Bottom