Carbon effect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ameyaraje99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How beneficial/detrimental is it to have activated carbon in your refugium/ canister. I have 1 bag of carbon and 1 bag of chemi pure in my canister and I still see diatoms in my tank. I have a 30 gallon setup with a hob refugium , a protein skimmer and 30lbs of live rock. I use Rodi water as well. My tanks been running for about 3 months now.

The diatoms are going to happen. They will burn themselves out though. If you use tap water then they would last longer but I see you dont. They will as I said burn themselves out.

Well diatoms are normal to see in a aquarium once in a while......more in the ending of a cycle or when there's lots of nutriments in your aquarium.....did you stir up the sand cause that starts a mini cycle too.
Could be that or :
To much lighting.
To much nutriments.

I've never heard of Carbon stopping diatoms from happing.

I use carbon in my saltwater aquarium more for polishing the water, and I replace the carbon every 3-weeks

Hmm I think too much nutrients. I used to feed everyday. But I've switched to every other day now. Thanks for the clarification. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom