Cardinal and Banded Coral Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fat_Penguin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, my bangai cardinal is having a bit of a problem with my coral banded. The cardinal loves my coral banded, but my coral banded doesn't like my cardinal. The cardinal follows the shrimp everywhere at night and sometimes during the day. He stays around the tips of the shrimps antennae. Except, sometimes he gets too close and the shrimp tries to snip at him. A few days ago, i guess the cardinal wasn't fast enough moving away and had his top fin in the front snipped off. I have had both of them for awhile and have not had any problems until now. Today, the cardinal's tail got snipped a bit. So, I was wondering if anyone else had a problem like this and whether or not I should leave them together.

CBS shrimp are notoriously aggressive. It's even more so a problem in smaller tanks. It's not surprising the shrimp is taking swipes at the cardinal, especially if it's giving it the opportunity. I think cardinals host in the spines of sea urchins in nature. Maybe it's trying to host in the antennae the same way?
I'm not sure what could be done other than removing one or the other if it gets too bad.

I agree that CBS are very aggressive. I`m also surprised they did not do any more harm than that.

Yeah, he was pretty aggressive when I first got him (the CBS is less aggressive now). Then again ... everything usually is, well, defensive at least. The cardinal seems fine for now. So, I think I will leave them unless something really bad happens. If it really is trying to host the antennae as if it were the spines of a urchin, then maybe i should add one in. Don't those long spine urchins get pretty big? I don't know if it would fit in my 55g tank when it grows to adult size.

I can't offer much info about longspine urchins. If you use the search function you should be able to find out some more. AFAIK one the biggest issues w/ them is knocking things over-especially as they get bigger. Not the best choice for smaller tanks w/ coral. You'll also want to be sure your rock work is stable to avoid a rock slide if you get one. They also consume coralline, which may be an issue w/ you. Be cautious when handling them or working in a tank w/ them as well.

I'm not very familiar w/ the hosting behaviors of cardinals, but they may only host in the spines for protection as juveniles. Besides not be necessary in a captive reef, it may also grow out of it. HTH

Thanks a bunch for the info. I will search more on the urchin. I have always wanted a long spine or a pincushion. If I do get one, I will probably get a smaller one. If it does seem to cause trouble as it grows, I will prob have to take him back.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom