Care and feeding of tiger cowry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stoneydee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there a specific food that one would feed a tiger cowry? We are currently dropping sinking pellets every other day, and the cowry has access to both seaweed flakes and seaweed strips (on a clip on the sand bed). I've noticed it grazes on the live rock, too.

I've also wondered if calcium needs to be added to the tank for the shell. . . TIA, this is a gorgeous animal (at least from the top LOL), and we want to do right by it.

They eat corals, sponges, fish meat, shrimp meat, etc... Since they are carnivorous, they will eat just about anything "meaty". I don't think them to be reef safe.

i have had one in a reef and it was never an issue if they get hungry enough though they may try to eat some coral, id keep an eye on em

We were told by our LFS that it was totally reef safe...I think I might have to see about giving them a call. He might be going back.

SquishyFish said:
We were told by our LFS that it was totally reef safe...

Ahhhh, there is your biggest mistake, listening to your LFS. So many people on here have gotten horrible ridiculous advice from their LFS, including myself. I now do not listen to a single thing they have to say :wink: Your best bet would be find out information on here or other web sites before you purchase an animal. Trust me it will save you time/money and many many headaches.

I usually look on this site >>http://www.wetwebmedia.com/<<to start then do searches on here and RC then ask questions about a particular animal before I buy it. I know it sounds troublesome and tedious at times but when you consider how much money you invest and how long some of these animals live and the care required it's really worth the time spent finding out about it before you buy it:lol:

Heh..Yeah, I've been around long enough to have been burned more than once by a LFS. We even have a section on the site we host called "the top ten sales pitches of your LFS" or something like that. Usually this LFS is right on the money. The only other time they have been way off the mark is when they told me that you could put an Emperator angel in a reef w/ no worries.

Squishy

There are certain smaller cowries that are reef "friendly" but the tiger cowrie is definately not one of them. They especially have an affinity for anemones, well fed or otherwise. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Yeah, I went home on lunch and moved his butt over to the sump. He should be fine down there. He was about to munch on a large colony of green zoos.

Back
Top Bottom