Care package arrived!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is the problem, they are all over the road and no two are alike. That is why I would mark the hydrometer once the correct salinity is achieved measuring with a refractometer.

Purevil21 said:
I have one of those hydrometers. I will tell you that it said my salinity was 1.022 and when I checked it with a refractometer it was 1.028. I know refractometers can be expensive, so I will give you a trick I did until I bought a refractometer. Take some water to the LFS and have them test you salinity. Adjust your water according to what they test. When the water test where you want it, then test with your hydrometer and mark with a sharpie. For example, I got my water down to 1.024, which on my deep six hydrometer was 1.017. It got me by for a few months.

good tip my neatest sw lfs is 30min away though when i go to buy my rodi water il have em test it. or could to much salt ruin the cycle

Lol, its cool. I am stuck in a 24 br two day OSHA training class, so my brain is fried. No, your bacteria should be fine while you fine tune you salinity. If your salinity is low, go a little heavy on salt for your next water change and vice versa for high salt. Give the salinity a day to settle out after the change and measure again. Continue until you get it perfect, then mark your hydrometer at that level.

Nope, never assume. All of the Hydrometers are different. I have seen a few that are dead on, but most are off one way or the other. Check your salinity then have your lfs check it with a refractometer and see which way yours is off.

I was using that device before I got my refractometer and it is off by a bit. If I remember correctly it would say lower than it was by a few .000's. like it would say 1.021 and it would be 1.024.

You can also check it against mixed salt water too of you know the mix is accurate. Like if you buy it at the lfs already mixed, have them check with their refractometer and then when you know its 1.026 you can mark where it says on the swing arm.

Hope this helps :-D

Do you have a chain store near you wolf? Are you using a petsmart or petco for your stuff? Or is it just a local shop?

carey said:
Do you have a chain store near you wolf? Are you using a petsmart or petco for your stuff? Or is it just a local shop?

petsmart theres a nice saltwater only store but its a 30-40 min drive so my parents would only take me every so often not nearly as much as i go ti petsmart its right down the srteet from me

I have a hydrometer of the same design. I find the swinging arm ones annoying though, you have to watch for bubbles, sometimes there inaccurate. I'm just going to buy a refractometer in a couple of months.

I bought my refractometer for $31.50. The guy was super cool and quick at responding to my messages. It got here in 4 days.

I went a month or two with the hydrometer, and then went onto ebay and got a refractometer for like 30 bucks. So much easier, no having to worry about bubbles on the swing arm.... totally worth the money!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom