care taking of box jelly fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nemo01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't have the set up for it yet but I have wanted some jelly's all my life and I was wondering what kind of maintenance they would require

Why does your title say box jellies? You know they're extremely deadly right? Just get some moons. They don't sting and are really pretty. Also make sure the tank is a cylinder so they don't get stuck in corners.

Lol it was supposed to say box jelly fish my fault yes I no they are deadly that's the beauty of them and no I'm not crazy I have seen nature biography shows on them and I have seen them in one store In Seattle but no wear else...

I'd really recommend trying moons first, then maybe nettles. After that you could try boxes but I have no clue how to take care of them and just because of the dangers I wouldn't even try it. They aren't like the normal poisons in saltwater, like zoa's palytoxins or a lion fish.

My friend was almost killed by one when we went to Australia for a trip they are very VERY VERY poisonous

I think I will try some other species of jellies first good idea just to get the feel of how they are...

And I would end up eating the rattle snake they are delicious u should try it some time the hard part is getting past the thought of eating a snake

Lol! That's crazy, ive only eaten alligator and crickets. I think youll love moon jellies. They are a challenge though.

You need a round/cylindrical tank with some water flow. If there's a square corner anywhere they'll get stuck there and die.

LOL, if I was hungry I would eat it, tastes like chicken I hear!!!!!!!

The moon jellies are so beautiful and the tanks are also beautiful. Keep me posted and get pics if you set it up.

I'm going to operate under the assumption that you've already looked into Box Jellies and understand the risks and not try to dissuade you. Though I do agree that starting with Moon Jellies might be a good option because they are probably cheaper, and it'll take some experimenting to figure out how to care for them.
For the tank, toddnbecka already mentioned that you can't have corners. There are two generally accepted standard designs. The first is a cylinder, with water flow diffused through the entire bottom (through gravel), filtered, and directed back up through a central return line, usually with bubbles and colored lights. This can actually be done by modifying several cheap tanks you can find at places like PetSmart.
The second is what is called a Kreisel (German for circle) tank, which is a very short cylinder on it's side. So you have a flat front and back viewing pane, and the top/bottom/sides are all one circle. Water flow is directed along the outer edge, which keeps the jellies suspended in the middle. Jellyfish Tanks & Accessories available from Jellyfish Art | Buy Now has examples of both types, and information on their care.
Because they are not very efficient eaters, water quality can be very difficult to maintain. So, as with any saltwater tank, get the largest you can afford. I'm afraid I don't know how to tell if they are being under or over fed, or if they are healthy, beyond "they're still moving..."
Hope this helps!

Can someone explain why a jellyfish would get stuck in a normal tank with 90 degree corners? I don't understand how......

Jelly fish move with the flow in the tank, in a round tank they bounce off things and literally can't get stuck.. There's no corners. The corners in a 90 would be too tight for it to roll off. Get what I'm saying?

Yeh I understand, but they can swim right? are you saying it can't push itself out of a corner? What about in the ocean, if it encounters a corner of a rock or anything... Something sounds fishy...... Lol

They don't have brains. Try to think of it as an unhappy anemone, floating around trying to land on a more optimal spot. They have no rhyme or reason, they just float till they hit something.

Back
Top Bottom