Caribbean die off - how will this affect the hobby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbonem91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/03/31/coral.death.ap/index.html

World's coral reef loss 'an underwater holocaust'

Was wondering how aware you all were of this and what the impact will be. Aside from the monumental loss in the "real world" how will this affect the saltwater hobby?

I am currently only a FW type, but planned on getting into SW within the next 2 years. Will this catastrophe skyrocket prices and kick the hobby into the more "elite" income area?

If this post should be elsewhere, by all means move it :wink:

I read that also. That is why propagating corals.fish, and inverts a re so important. Not just to the hobby but globaly. Our ecosystem has a balance and the corals reef are an important part of this system. This could cause an extreme trickle effect. I could go on and on but the botom line is we as a society need to be aware of the problem. And not ignore this just because we do not see it everyday. Thanks for the post 91

The extent of the damage is signifigant, but this is certainly not a new development. Coral reefs have been shrinking for decades, no?

Indeed. This is why most retailers highly advertise their aquacultured rock, fish, corals, etc. It is very sought after.

I learned alot about coral reef conservation, and also why they are being destroyed at last year's MACNA. You never think about how something as simple as rising water levels can kill off so much life.

Buy aquacultured! And then go tell your LFS why it's better.

Back
Top Bottom