Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2003, 03:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Caribbean LR

They sell it on.......for only $1.95 lb It looks nice & needs 0.75 -1.25 per gal

https://www.etropicals.com/product/p...44&pCatId=1359

If you have any do you like & recommend it?

Or since it's cheap, would 10 lbs be enough to seed 50 lbs of baserock?

-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
swishyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 03:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok not seeding with 10 lbs, seed with 16 lbs (that's the min order from Dr F & S.

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
According to the site: Because the rock is uncured, more biodiversity can be found on this type of live rock

just make sure you cure this before you start adding things into your tank.
Old 04-18-2003, 04:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh I like to cure it in my tank for a good while first before I do anything else. But is 15 lbs enough to seed 30 or even 50 lbs of base rock or should I just use all Caribbean LR? I love that price, even with the shipping it's cheaper than lots of places.

Old 04-18-2003, 06:27 PM   #5

The cost between 45lbs of Fiji $150 free shipping and doing 16lbs with out shipping, is not economical IMO. But, if it fits the budget hey,,,,Do the best you can with what ya got
Old 04-18-2003, 06:56 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
make sure you take not of the shipping costs on the rock. It usually costs close to $1 - $1.50/lb for shipping.

Etropicals.com is owned by the same company as liveaquaria.com I suspect its the same rock aswell.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 08:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

No the rock on e.tropicals is different. And yes I have came up with 5 different combinations & costs. I keep finding cheaper ways to get the rock I need. Their shipping on both sites is $1.19 for 2 day.

Old 04-18-2003, 11:05 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You might find that this rock is more dense than some of the other live rock types out there. So the rocks might end up being smaller than you had thought but still weight the amount you specified.

I thought you was not looking to buy for a while yet?

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:13 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

We got orders last week to be moved to Missouri. We are moving 13 June so that means I get to start my salt tank after we move instead of waiting till my husband gets out. No pont in starting it here & having to tear it down only after a year & a half so I was just going to bear it and wait till he got out & we bought a house.

We figured that since he had less than 2 yrs left & we didn't get orders that we're never going to and so he decided to get out of the Air Force March 05....But since we did out of the blue he has to extend for atleast a year. I told him I was not waiting 3 years to start my salt tank. He said I could start it after the move.

So instead of doing a larger 80-125 gal in our new home, I'm just going to keep with my 55 gal since we'll still be living in base housing. I should get to keep this one up for at least 3-4 yrs hoping we can stay there till he retires. With this extention (for an instructor position) to go to this new base he'll be half way to retiring when it's done and he might as well stay in. One day we will get to stay put & buy a house & then I'll upgrade to a larger system.

Hope that explains it all. Anyways for the 50 some odd days left till the move I'm doing all my planning now so I can start right away when we get moved in.

Old 04-19-2003, 10:53 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Ok. Thats what I had thought. You would be looking to buy this summer vs right away.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com