Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
I bought a few pieces and threw it in with some of the live rock that came with the 240g I am putting back together. It's all in another tank and I have not seen anything yet, but assume it will come with time. I did the same basic idea with a reef years ago and believe it took months to get to the point that most of the rock was purple.
so do you think adding the covered rubble helped accelerate the process or did it take the same amount of time as without the rubble..?

Old 09-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have no Coraline algae in your tank at all(used all dry rock) you will need something to seed your tank. Either a few pieces of ruble or Coraline scrapped off the glass at your lfs will work. Either way it will take time for your rock to be covered. You can't really speed up the process as far as I know. Just maintain your calcium levels and wait.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
If you have no Coraline algae in your tank at all(used all dry rock) you will need something to seed your tank. Either a few pieces of ruble or Coraline scrapped off the glass at your lfs will work. Either way it will take time for your rock to be covered. You can't really speed up the process as far as I know. Just maintain your calcium levels and wait.
well i have coraline and i love it, its showing up as spots but i want it to carpet my rocks heres a link to my build with tank pics.

Salty Noobs 37g Bow Front Build..!
Old 09-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Calcium is all it needs, plus good water conditions. It is a natural process that shouldn't be messed with to try to accelerate it. In time, it will become the royal pain in the a** it has been for me for many years. Pretty, but a mess to keep under control as it covers my power heads and probes. I almost need power tools to remove it from the tank walls.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes purple up will grow coraline but it has to be present first. Just get a small rock with it on there and scrape most of it into the water column. Generally where it lands it will grow aka "seeding"
Old 09-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Calcium is all it needs, plus good water conditions. It is a natural process that shouldn't be messed with to try to accelerate it. In time, it will become the royal pain in the a** it has been for me for many years. Pretty, but a mess to keep under control as it covers my power heads and probes. I almost need power tools to remove it from the tank walls.
and thats what i dont want, it to grow on the glass and i have to scrape it off, i periodically clean my glass with a mag float to prevent that, its my #1 fear because ive seen some disgusting tank covered in it top to bottom glass and all, and it horrified me lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
Yes purple up will grow coraline but it has to be present first. Just get a small rock with it on there and scrape most of it into the water column. Generally where it lands it will grow aka "seeding"
well i have coraline algae already i guess ill just wait it out,
Old 09-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It can't be helped. Any tank that has water that will sustain hard corals also grows this algae.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
It can't be helped. Any tank that has water that will sustain hard corals also grows this algae.
growing on the glass cant be helped? i dont give a crap about the rear wall, jus the front (bow) and sides need to be spotless for me.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It grows where it grows. You will have to remove it from the front and side glass once it builds up.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just started my tank last February it's a 75 and I only had money to buy a couple pieces of rock being new I add a bunch of tall plastic plants to fill out the tank in about three months my plastic plants were covered in Coraline so about a month or two ago I lucked into a bunch of live rock that was in a tank for about 8 years but it didn't have any Coraline on it so when I put the rock in I decided to pull out all the plastic plants when I did I reached in the tank and used my fingers and scraped off all the algae that was on the plants now about every piece of rock is covered in it so seeding your tank defiantly speeds up the process. Sorry for budding in your post but I just wanted to share my experience with you

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com