Caribsea Purple-Up..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just started my tank last February it's a 75 and I only had money to buy a couple pieces of rock being new I add a bunch of tall plastic plants to fill out the tank in about three months my plastic plants were covered in Coraline so about a month or two ago I lucked into a bunch of live rock that was in a tank for about 8 years but it didn't have any Coraline on it so when I put the rock in I decided to pull out all the plastic plants when I did I reached in the tank and used my fingers and scraped off all the algae that was on the plants now about every piece of rock is covered in it so seeding your tank defiantly speeds up the process. Sorry for budding in your post but I just wanted to share my experience with you

no no this kinds stuff is what i want in my threads because i like to hear how things dont follow belief and rules and broke out, like your plants story thats awesome, im going to my lrs now to se there faces when i ask for coraline algae.

Lol my only local one is petco I know the people in there wouldn't have a clue. If it weren't for this site I would have just through out the plants but I remembered reading on here about scraping your rocks and things to make it spread I watched a YouTube video on a guy that only had two rocks to seed his 30 lb of dry rock so he got the rock out and put it in a bowl and got a scalpel and scraped some off in the bowl and then dumped the scrapings back in his tank and he swore it helped and I'm sure it would

x2 I just get my water there as well $1/gal is not bad at all and its already at 1.026

One water change for my two tanks would cost me $60 for LFS water lol. I use kent reef mix and my rodi filter so now it's less than $15 to do a 20% WC on all of my tanks.

Hehe I go through over 200 gallons of water a month so it would be silly and dumb for me not to have my own ro/di. :) Though when I started I was carting the water back and forth but that got old realllly quick. lol

Hehe I go through over 200 gallons of water a month so it would be silly and dumb for me not to have my own ro/di. :) Though when I started I was carting the water back and forth but that got old realllly quick. lol

I know it will get old carting water but for now it will do. I only have am40gal tank. Ha ha, I do see a 55gal FW tank being converted to saltwater.

:whistle:

I hear you Carey I'm doing anywhere from 40-50 gallons a week in my tanks. And yes an rodi filter wouldn't be very ideal for a jbj14 or other small tank but when I only had my 55 it was a major time savor and stress reducer wether it cost me more for the actual water or not it still saves me money. How many people go into the LFS for water and come out with a fish, frag, additive, cool rock, overt or something else lol. I did it almost everytime.

I hear you Carey I'm doing anywhere from 40-50 gallons a week in my tanks. And yes an rodi filter wouldn't be very ideal for a jbj14 or other small tank but when I only had my 55 it was a major time savor and stress reducer wether it cost me more for the actual water or not it still saves me money. How many people go into the LFS for water and come out with a fish, frag, additive, cool rock, overt or something else lol. I did it almost everytime.

aaaaaaaand guilty as charged lol :D

my wifes last words before i leave to pickup some water are always, you better not come with with anything but water..... and if you do........ it better be pretty! :rolleyes:

I'd rather make my own because I never know what the quality of the water is from my lfs just heard or had there water salinity at 1.010 and I keep my tank at 1.026. Plus I can keep track of the TDS

aaaaaaaand guilty as charged lol :D

my wifes last words before i leave to pickup some water are always, you better not come with with anything but water..... and if you do........ it better be pretty! :rolleyes:

Lol. I get the same thing. Or when I get home " you didn't buy anything you weren't supposed to?"

My LFS has a crappy selection of livestock. I never have that problem. Got to pick and choose who's house I go to because if that problem though

Lol. I get the same thing. Or when I get home " you didn't buy anything you weren't supposed to?"

lol thats why i do the lunch hour acclimation so she'll notice days later and when she askes when we got it i can say oh its been there forever babe you never saw it? lol

Back
Top Bottom