Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Caribsea Purple-Up..?

So what's you all stance on this stuff, I hear good and bad I wanna know the goods and bads, and why. Thanks guys!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=12799

Old 09-16-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The best option for your reef tank is to put as few additives as possible into it. If you want a coralline boost ask your lfs to scrape some off of their tank into a bag for you. That will seed your tank with a whole lot of algae and speed things up for you. Other than that its something that will come with time.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
The best option for your reef tank is to put as few additives as possible into it. If you want a coralline boost ask your lfs to scrape some off of their tank into a bag for you. That will seed your tank with a whole lot of algae and speed things up for you. Other than that its something that will come with time.
I see your standpoint on the natural development of coraline, but my question was more of a how and why would someone use it? I have a buddy that swears by the stuff, I just don't want it all over my glass.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You can't add calcium safely without effecting other parameters in the process. You most likely have all the calcium you need in your salt mix, and adding things blindly without testing for them and knowing that you are definitely in need of them, is not a good practice.

Your friend swears by it to do what? Grow calcium based algae? This will happen with or without that stuff, so I would say it's a total waste of money.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The cons ive seen IME
1. Clouds water temporarily (1 to a few hours)
2. It costs money and adds to the cost of upkeep
3. It will affect parameters IME Ca, Mg, alk and sometimes I'd get a P.H swing
4. As soon as it hit the water all of my fish would hit the sand bed to get away from it. (they came back out but I'd rather stress my fish the least amount possible)
5. I have no scientific way of telling you why but i always lost more water to evaporation after adding purple up. Normal evap for my 210 is 1gal a day without Purple Up and just under 2 a day with it in my system.
This is all just MY experience with purple up and I no longer use it because of these issues.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
You can't add calcium safely without effecting other parameters in the process. You most likely have all the calcium you need in your salt mix, and adding things blindly without testing for them and knowing that you are definitely in need of them, is not a good practice.

Your friend swears by it to do what? Grow calcium based algae? This will happen with or without that stuff, so I would say it's a total waste of money.
i know guys, IM NOT USING THIS im just asking whats the hype, and i guess to grow purple coraline algae, idk what its "supposed" to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
The cons ive seen IME
1. Clouds water temporarily (1 to a few hours)
2. It costs money and adds to the cost of upkeep
3. It will affect parameters IME Ca, Mg, alk and sometimes I'd get a P.H swing
4. As soon as it hit the water all of my fish would hit the sand bed to get away from it. (they came back out but I'd rather stress my fish the least amount possible)
5. I have no scientific way of telling you why but i always lost more water to evaporation after adding purple up. Normal evap for my 210 is 1gal a day without Purple Up and just under 2 a day with it in my system.
This is all just MY experience with purple up and I no longer use it because of these issues.
wow tim, those are some considerable side effects, did you even get coraline out of it after all that trouble..?
Old 09-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My LFS has a tank with rubble that they sell for a buck a piece that is covered with it. I figure that is how I will seed mine.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
My LFS has a tank with rubble that they sell for a buck a piece that is covered with it. I figure that is how I will seed mine.
so you bought a piece and seeded your entire tank with it? how big was the piece? how big is the tank..? how long did it take?
Old 09-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

so you bought a piece and seeded your entire tank with it? how big was the piece? how big is the tank..? how long did it take?
Regardless of tank size and size of the seed ruble it will take a while for Coraline to spread.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

I bought a few pieces and threw it in with some of the live rock that came with the 240g I am putting back together. It's all in another tank and I have not seen anything yet, but assume it will come with time. I did the same basic idea with a reef years ago and believe it took months to get to the point that most of the rock was purple.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com