Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Question Carpet Anemone??

I've had two Ocellaris clown fish for a few months now and am wanting to get an anemone for them. I was told at my LFS that a carpet anemone was the best choice but it might kill some of the other fish in the tank. The other fish I have are a yellow tang, longnose butterfly, and a six line wrasse. Do you think it is a good idea to get this type of anemone?

Brandonsev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rule #1 in this hobby: NEVER listen to the LFS.....

Clowns hosting is a hit or miss no matter what you get.

Any questions? Feel free to PM me.
Hitchhikers on live rock? http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Thanx but no.....

The anemone choice is fine as long as your tank is mature enough (say 8 months or longer). Your other fish are smart enough to stay away which is the reason that the clownfish has adapted to the symbiotic relationship with anemones.

The 3 things to remember are:

a) no guarantee your clown fish will be even the slightest bit interested in your new purchase.

b) Without a mature tank your new purchase may not last long

c) Without the proper lighting your new purchase may not last long.

Is a carpet the best choice.. dunno, most in the hobby seem to lean towards the bubble tip but that may be for ascetic reasons.

Do some google research and see what you can find.

Good luck
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would look into a bubble tip anemone if this is your first go at keeping an anemone. Thats my first bit of advice. From experience, BTA's appear to more readily host Oc and Percs but know that to host or not to host is completely up to the fish, no one can predict what will work. Secondly, carpet nems are known for devouring what ever it can capture. If you decide to place one in your tank, consider yourself warned GL!
To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a BTA and two clows that host it. I had the BTA in the large tank for 3 weeks and they could have cared less about it. Then, I was restaining my stand and put the fish and BTA into a 30g QT I have. It only took them about 1 day to start hositng it. Now with everything back in the big tank, all is great.

My BTA will up and move if it wants too. He has been stable for a week now. Been thinking about selling it back to the LFS becasue I would rather keep the coral safe.
bhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
As mentioned above there is no guarantee the clowns will host it. I had a BTA and had to get rid of it as my clowns chose to ignore it. BTW what type lighting do you have?
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
My Experience:

Clowns ignored the Green BTA I added to my Tank. BTA decided he likes the back of the tank better then the front.

Now I have 2 clowns trying to host my Green DUNCAN coral and a BTA that is only a little visible if you peek behind the tank. I'm sure he'll relocate again one day..maybe to the front of the tank

goisles1 is offline   Reply With Quote

anemone, carpet

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com