carpet anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nutrak

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a 150 reef with 40 or so corals. i've been thinking about getting an anemone (carpet) but in not sure i should. i've heard they're real pains when they roam. i'll be able to support it (5ft long, 3 400w radiums 300w actinic, no nitrates etc), but i dont know if it will mix well with the other inverts. do people commonly keep these in reefs, and do they add them to well established reefs?
please advise.
joe

i kept mine in a tank to itself, with a clownfish....my biggest problem is that it would eat any other fish that was put in the tank. You may want to consider that
too...I lost 4 fish to its appetites.

I never really had a problem with my carpet at all except after I put all my powerheads on a Wavemaker.. It got upset and started moving... It was a rather large carpet so I wasnt going to take any chances.. I ended up giving it away to another guy who had a very mature stable setup and it only lasted 2 days... While it was in my tank for 1-2months prior... It never ate any fish that I had.. Almost ate my cleaners a few times.. I ran a moonlight during the night so the fish could somewhat see where it was...

HTH<
James

eating?

how on earth can a carpet anemone eat a fish? i have several fish (tangs specifically) in my tank and i wouldnt want them to be dinner. does this happen a lot?

it happened alot with mine. It ate a baby porcupine puffer, a lawnmower blennie, a copperband butterfly and after "swallowing" the pencil urchin, regurgitated it back out as I imagine it was more than it wanted to handle.
Clownfish also will help "herd" fish towards an anemone..I saw this behaviour quite often.

eating?

so this happens regularly? how does an anemone "catch a fish?" does it sting it and kill it? do they just lay there and wait to die?

Back
Top Bottom