Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-26-2004, 09:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Carpet Tried to Eat Clown

I introduced a green carpet anemone into a tank with two false clowns a few days ago. I selected the carpet as I believed that it was a good match for this type of clown. Well this morning I was shocked to see that my anemone had other ideas about his tankmates -- like breakfast, maybe.

One clown was squirming and thrashing hard to get free, but the anemone had him in a strangle hold. I intervened, helping the clown escape. He's got a number of "scars" from his encounter and appears quite shaken up about the whole ordeal. He's also keeping a wide berth of the carpet -- a far cry from the snuggling I had hoped for.

Anyway, my question... what's up with this behavior? Is this a sign that either the clown or the carpet (or both) is unwell? Anything I can do, short of maintaining 24/7 vigilance over the tank, to keep the clowns safe?

MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:59 PM   #2
Fish are a natural food for a carpet.. Sounds like you had gotten a Haddoni and had Percs or occerlaris clowns.. Which normally dont host in a haddoni

I would have let them be food myself.. Most likey the Carpet is not going to make it now due to the stress of that whole ordeal..

carpet, clown, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com