Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2004, 11:42 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Catalaphyllia jardinei/elegans coral - experience to share?

Got one yesterday and put it under twin, 65w, 10,000k PCs. Situated it midway up in a 75g fish and reef tank. It opened up nicely and looks far better than it did at the LFS after 4 hrs acclimating and 1 hr in the tank. Eric Borneman's coral book is on the way in the mail. Will probably get Julian Sprung's book too, but I got this coral anyway yesterday.

My nitrates are always less than 10ppm, usually @ zero. I've got pumping xenia flourishing. What's your experience with this coral and do you think I'm gonna have any luck with it in my current tank with the consistent water conditions?

It's the greenish looking one with the pink tips.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:44 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Oops. I put this in the wrong forum!

Pay attention, Ray!!!!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 10-08-2004, 07:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is one of my favorite corals. I have one now and it is doing great. I have had two others before this that for some reason withered and died in a matter of months. This coral was once considered an easy one to keep, but now have a poor survival record in captivity. There is some research going on to figure out why, but no answers yet. It may have something to do with the colection/transport method. I believe there is some discussion going on at Reef Central in this area. Anyways, good luck with yours. I have found it best to keep the "mantel" of the coral facing straight up. Also, mine does better with the cone end burried in the DSB about three inches. Good luck...Lando
Old 10-13-2004, 08:13 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I got it @ about a 45 degree angle a little higher than the middle, cone end stuck between 2 rocks. So far so good, but ya think it needs to be in the sand? Still haven't got my book yet, but I've heard that when they go bad, they do so quickly. If it needs to be in the sand - wonderin' if the twin 65w PCs would provide enuf light that low.

Old 10-13-2004, 10:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had one that was doing great and in a few months was gone??? I just picked up another from a local reefer who was breaking his tank down for $25. I figured for that price I'll give it another shot. I have had it a month now and it seems to be doing well, I feed it small pieces of shrimp every other week its cool how they feed themselves. I also feed liquidlife coral & bio plankton to the tank.
I have mine on the SB also. If its doing well on the LR then leave it there for now. Good luck.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would consider moving it to the sand bed. From what I have read, and in my own experience, they just do better there. I had mine in the rocks half way up the tank and it was not expanding like it should. I moved it to the sand and it is doing much better. Nice and expanded and looking great. When you get a chance post some pics. Lando
Old 10-13-2004, 12:27 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Mine is expanding a lot in the rock. Almost doubled in size after I brought it home from the LFS.

Gonna try to get pics, but I haven't been too good at it. What's the secret? Flash w/no aquarium lights? Aquarium lights with no flash? After I get a good pic, I'll probably (no, will) need some help on posting. Computers ain't my thing. Maybe my 13 year old son can help me. I'd like to put some in my gallery too. Is there a step by step around here somewhere that might help with both the pic post and the gallery update?

Old 10-13-2004, 01:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Posting is easy. Take the pic. (I use no flash with tank lights on.) Save it to a file on your computer. Resize it as appropriate. Under the message body click the "browse" button to find the file you saved the pic in. open it so the file name appears in the box. click submit and it should post for you. Good luck...Lando
Old 10-14-2004, 09:44 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Got my Borneman Corals book yesterday. Says that they do better on the bottom since their expansion could cause abrasions on the rocks. Those abrasions could lead to brown jelly or recession. They've also been know to "bail out" in response to poor water quality or sudden lighting changes. The polyp can recalcify under the giht conditions. They are also sesitive to Caulerpa algae, prone to bristleworms, and succumb to infections easily. Guess I got my hands full. BTW, I've got the green, pink tipped version.

Will try to post soon. 97% of my web access happens during my 9-5. Gotta get those cords and camera hooked up here.

Tags
coral, hare

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com