Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2003, 11:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to Pacu Man Send a message via AIM to Pacu Man
Catalina Goby

I can't seem to find these guys anywhere are they rare or something? from what I've read they are pretty common.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:44 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
http://www.exotictropicals.com/encyc...e/catalina.php

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/493554.html

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...=21&pCatId=155

Gosh I LOVE google

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 12:06 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

You should be aware the Catalina gobies are a colder water fish and won't do well at the tropical temps we maintain our tanks. The are best kept in a tank with other critters from their own temp range

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 04:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to Pacu Man Send a message via AIM to Pacu Man
I wasn't referring to information, but if like you guys went down to a LFS would you find one there?
Old 07-29-2003, 04:26 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Pacu Man,

I've never seen one at a LFS. I've always assumed that that is because they are a "specialty" item - they would need to kept in a species tank - at a cooler temperature than everything else sold by the SW LFS.
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
I've seen quite a few at my LFS just recently. They were, however, housed in a tank with clowns and a goby, so I would assume that there was no special temperature being observed in this tank. Is that a bad thing? Or could they stand it for a short period of time or should they just simply not be in this tank?

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:50 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

this is the downfall of many LFS'. There is little concern for the specific needs of the fish they cary. Their concerns are to "display and sell". Those fish should likely not have been in that tank. Or if the temp was right then the clown and goby should not have been in that tank.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hmmmm, I too have heard and read that these cute little fish can only be kept in cooler water, but personally I have had great success keeping them in tropical waters as long as the temperature doesn't reach much over 78 degrees. I presently have 5 in my store right now. I have had these fish in the store for 3 months now. They are housed in a tank with a lot of calaurpa two red headed gobies and one baby bangaii cardinal. All the fish in this tank are getting along reasonably well, although the catalina gobies bicker amoung each other, I haven't seen any damage too their fins.
I am not sure if these are rare fish or not , but I rarely see them on our lists that I get from my suppliers.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:09 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
but personally I have had great success keeping them in tropical waters as long as the temperature doesn't reach much over 78 degrees.
Just curious as to whether you have any idea as to their longevity at these temps? I would think the higher temps (they are from waters that rarely get over 72*F), would be more of a chronic stressor that would severly shorten lifespan, and increase likelyhood of disease, rather than kill quickly.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I am not sure just exactly what the life span of a catalina goby is. I have had in the past three of these cute little fish in a three gallon reef and the lived for about three years. If their life span is longer than three years than the higher temps did indeed shorten their life , but , I am not sure. More investigating may need to be done about this issue. Anyone else reading these messages have any idea?

Tags
goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com