Catastrophe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, anemone split when stressed to ensure they survive. Why do you need to remove them?

Because one anemone is more than enough for me, let alone 3 or 4! I think it's splitting off another little guy now... I'm just gonna take them to my LFS.
Not sure why the nem would be stressed except that it got chopped up in a power head a couple weeks ago. All parameters check out. Been through them a hundred times in my other threads as well. You may have commented on the thread I have about my algae disappearing and LPS not doing well.... We narrowed the problems to calcium swings and over powered lights. None of those would affect the nem..
Right?

He got caught in the powerhead. That is why it is stressed enough to split. It is to make sure they don't die out and save the dna line.

That's what I was thinking. LFS is gonna give me store credit for these guys.. Score!

"We narrowed the problems to calcium swings and over powered lights. None of those would affect the nem..
Right?" No those swings will stress it Nems need very stable parameters To much light will cause it to hide under rocks

"We narrowed the problems to calcium swings and over powered lights. None of those would affect the nem..
Right?" No those swings will stress it Nems need very stable parameters To much light will cause it to hide under rocks

Don't know if I was clear about my BTA's activities. It finds a spot it likes, settles in for a couple weeks and then moves one day the minute my lights go out. Lights come on, and it finds a spot it likes and sits still until the lights go back off... Right now, the thing is perched on a power head at the top of the tank. He's been there all day. I guarantee that as soon as the lights go out, it will be on the move. It can't be the intensity of the lights that's bothering it or it would be hiding. I think it gets upset when the lights go out and it moves looking for the light.
That's the only thing that makes sense.
Also, could you clarify how calcium levels would affect an anemone? I thought that only stony corals use it to grow their skeletons...

Ok, so just as I predicted the lights went out and this anemone went on the move once again. I had to go out and run an errand and when I returned the nem was no-where to be found. I looked into the overflow and there he was! Just got done pulling it out of there before it was nearly sucked into the standpipe! This thing is worse than my 1 year old that just started walking! I'm close to returning it to the LFS. What should I do? It looks happy and healthy, and is recovering well from getting chopped up in the power head. I'd say its gotta be pretty healthy to overcome something like that!
It has no signs of being stressed out besides it moving all the time. It gets settled in for a couple weeks and then moves. None of my parameters have changed between the time that it settled and yesterday when it started moving again. When the lights go out, that seems to be what triggers the move. I had a green BTA a couple years ago that was in stressful conditions due to my lack of knowledge, and it never wandered like this. My water is near perfect. I'm clueless as to what is going on. All I can figure is that I have a very temperamental nem.

Perhaps a PH swing is causing it to move Or you may be correct in thinking you just have a temperamental nem Mine only moved when the ph dropped i would find it at the top of the tank Do the clones also climb to the top after lights out? Do you target feed it may just be hungry Could there be something bothering it after lights out? Im puzzled lol

Perhaps a PH swing is causing it to move Or you may be correct in thinking you just have a temperamental nem Mine only moved when the ph dropped i would find it at the top of the tank Do the clones also climb to the top after lights out? Do you target feed it may just be hungry Could there be something bothering it after lights out? Im puzzled lol

Doesn't the ph drop when the lights go out?
You reminded me of something I remember hearing before...

Also about the clones, it's funny you mentioned that too. They went straight for the bottom while the mother sat at the top on my PH all day until lights went out. Then it crawled across the tank and into the overflow. Yes I do feed a small silverside once a week.

Yes the ph does drop a bit after lights out maybe it a temp drop that's causing it to roam

Yes the ph does drop a bit after lights out maybe it a temp drop that's causing it to roam

Temp doesn't fluctuate much. These led's run really cool. I leave the canopy lid open too because I'm getting some mold growing inside the canopy from the humidity. Still have to put some circulation fans in it. Probably just some computer fans.

Back
Top Bottom