Catching a CBS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm taking my fish-killing CBS back to the lfs, but first I have to catch the little bugger. I tried for several hours Saturday to no avail. Actually after the first 5 minutes I think he just started taunting me because he knew I couldn't get him.
Anyway, will the inverted 2 liter bottle trap work? I believe he is fully grown. Will he be able to fit through the skinny neck of the bottle (where you screw the cap on) or should I cut it back a little?

TIA

i dont like the bottle trick..

my cbs tends to come out after feeding when the lights are down/low (blues only).. and if i wanted to i could easily grab a net and catch him... maybe try that

and if i wanted to i could easily grab a net and catch him

Ha! Thats what I thought! I first lured him out with some seaweed but after missing him with my first swipe of the net he was on to me. My next try was with some frozen brine. He went after that like crazy but again I had one shot and blew it.

Why don't you like the bottle?

I dont think they could fit through the small screw end. Cut it bigger and try it, can't hurt.
I had to take mine out also because it killed fish. Took several tries with a BIG net and I got him.

We had to pull out liverock to get our fish-killing CBS. Then we used two nets, one to herd him into the other one. (I chose to be the herder and let my husband actually catch the bugger.)

pardon me for asking, but what is a CBS? It sounds like you're talking about a mantis shrimp...

I have seen these things the size of a large grapefruit while visiting Moody Gardens in Galveston. I wonder if they ever get that big in a home aquarium.

i Have one and i love it! i can hand feed it shrimp and stuff and its pretty friendly towards my fish as long as they don't invade its territory.

i can catch mine in about 3 seconds with two nets.

Back
Top Bottom