Catching agressive maroon clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MANCUNIA13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two agressive maroon clowns which I want out so I can trade for new fish at my lfs, I've tried catching them in a net but no go, even tried bribing them out with bits of food but still it's a no go area, has anyone got any better ideas on getting them out without draining tank disturbing lr

Hi you can try several tricks:)
1 - place a mirror in a base of a plastic container - theory - fish see's reflection attacks it and presto fish is in container:)
2 - use two nets. A small 'chasing' net and a big one to catch the fish.
3 - place a fish bag in there favourite hiding place then when they retreat simply lift out the bag!
4 - leave the net in the tank for a little while,then they will not associate it with danger?
None of these are completely 'fool proof' so to speak so hopefully some one may have a simpler solution?
Good luck(y)

Hi thanks for your ideas, think ill try the big net little net method 1st, also i might try the inverted bottle that I've just heard of, it's where you cut a clear bottle in half an invert the cap end back into the bottle creating a fish trap so to speak, so by placing food in your fishy pals go in but can't get out, granted you'll end up with probably more than 1 fish in their but 1 if them will be the ones you want.

Yes I'm attempting the bottle trap 2mora I think I'll let you know how it goes, hope it works 1st time.

Fish trap is the only way I know that really works. I keep a piece of fishing line from the trap tied to my easy chair, so if I see the offending fish enter the trap I can close it.

Sneak attack was a whim of an action that I did once where I saw the fish I wanted swimming away from my rocks and I just went for it haha... I had the net out of the tank, then in, and back out in about a second....

I've never been able to replicate :)

I had success with a jar put some food in it careful place at bottom so the food doesn't rush out with the water. Fill it before you place it in tank. Caught damsels wrasses etc... Two six lines a few weeks ago be ready to cover the opening.

Just done the bottle trap this morning with a bit of food in it, and within 10 seconds of being in the tank my biggest gold stripe clown went in (GOTCHA), so he's now gone back to lsf in a trade for little yellow tang to keep my sailfin tang company happy days.

Well short of taking very thin out of the tank I found the best way to get any fish is persistence they will get tired and I find that's the easiest

True, I've still got to go bk in though, I've got 1 more I want out another maroon clown, but got the most aggressive out and first time so pretty chuffed at that, hopefully he'll fall for same trick so I can trade him at lfs for a little regal tang.

Back
Top Bottom