Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hippo tangs are always getting it. Get a good uv so it does not pass it to your other fish and just leave them in there. My hippo tang used to get ich on and off all the time before i traded him in to get a different tang and none of my other fish ever got it. If you take them out everytime a fish gets ich you will be doing it all the time.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lots of odd info on this thread so far...

All tanks do not always have Ich. All Tangs (Hippo or otherwise) do not always get/have Ich. However, some fish can have Ich, usually in the gils, where you do not see it and they do not display the "white spots" usually associated with Ich. UV filters in no way guarantee that Ich will not be spread to other fish. It kills what is in the water column, but that only gets some of it and only in certain stages of the life cycle. There are two views on dealing with stuff like this...

(1) Maintain pristine water conditions and healthy, well-fed fish. They might be able to fight it off/ keep it at bay. People on here have gone that route and never had an Ich outbreak. IMO, that amounts to a bit of luck. Ich is not always a death sentence. Some fish muscle through it and can eventually overcome it, but some can't.

(2) Treat fish with either copper or hypo in a QT and leave the DT fallow for 6-8 weeks. IMO, that gives you an Ich-free tank and fish going back in are Ich-free. No more Ich. If you QT future additions and treat as needed, you maintain a "clean" DT. Is there a chance that a fish with Ich sneaks through the initial QT "observation period" and brings Ich into your DT? Sure, but it is not very likely. The down side of the QT while treating is that hypo or copper will likely stress your fish. Some might not make it. Again, that end result probably has a bit of luck with it, but most fish do okay. I like hypo better, as copper is basically a poison and seems to stress fish more. Both have worked for many, many people.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea so leave the rest of fish in the tank.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also be aware that whatever tank you treat for Ich will not be able to support most inverts for a long time because of the copper. I made this mistake in my main tank about a year ago
Old 05-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
Yea so leave the rest of fish in the tank.
It is an option, but with fish in there, the Ich remains because it has a host. Put the cured fish back in and it can come back and that QT was for nothing.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMagno View Post
Also be aware that whatever tank you treat for Ich will not be able to support most inverts for a long time because of the copper. I made this mistake in my main tank about a year ago
True. Never treat Ich (or anything else) in a DT...always treat in a QT. Even with hypo, it is just better to have a dedicated tank for QT. Treat sick fish in there and observe new additions in there. Inverts don't carry anything, so they get to pass by that experience.

Tags
chi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com