Catching Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyingL0

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im so frustrated right now.... Today was the day I was going to trade in my two yellow tail damsels and get two clowns. Well I cant catch the damsels for the life of me. I have tried everything from tossing a little food in, to trying to wrangle them into a corner. The just are to quick and hide in my rock.

Any ideas?

Damsels are tricky, most remove all the Liverock, two nets help, and also lights out when their not as active. Good Luck.

You will mostl likely have to remove all of The LR. Use tow nets and corner them. It is a pain, but little other options.

just venturing over from the freshies to tell about an observation I made once.

My mom was once into saltwater fish and she wanted a damsel in the tank. Anyway, at the fish store they actually kept a net in the tank and the fish got somewhat use to it. Yes, they would swim away when the net started moving, but not as quickly it seems. Perhaps you could try keeping the net in there for a few days if you don't want to go through the trouble of taking out the LR.

Some of the LFS will let you use or buy traps. I dont know how effective they are

I had two Damsels that I wanted to get out of my tank. I took a 2 liter bottle and cut off the top about 1/2 inch below the top. I put some flake food in it and tipped it upside down in my tank. Every single fish went into the bottle except the Damsels. Eventually, I just took out everything and caught the little punks. Try the bottle trick before anything, but chances are, you're going to be breaking down your tank.

I found when I was catching my damsel they tend to get a little cocky. I was trying to catch him but kept missing barely. I stuck to it and after a few minutes he seemed not as threatened by the net so I kind of kept the net out of his sight and when he swam through one of my caves I nabbed him really quick. I don't know if I was just lucky or what but it worked :mrgreen:

I had five damsels. Three have been captured by the bottle trap. The other two got too smart.. :x

when I caught mine the little bugger had found a hole in my LR that he could sneak down into but there was no way out of it except the way he came in. I waited for him to go into that hole and then laid the net over the hole ... when he came back out ..... BAM right into the net he swam! there was no escaping! It took me about 3 hours to do this, but it beat the alternative of removing LR!!!!

Good luck!

I took two out of my tank. Had to take out all the lr to catch them. I tried the bottle trick, didn't work. I tried tempting them with food, didn't work. I held the net in one place for an hour and a half, didn't work. After all the lr was out of the tank, he had no place to hide.

Back
Top Bottom