Catshark ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pau1parker

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i was doing the worst thing to do when your bored ... Searching random crap on the net until i came across a catshark , oh my word there beautiful fish arnt they!
Now my mind is set on buying a new tank so i can have one !
The only place in my house witch does not have a fish tank is a wall in my kitchen wich would look great ..
Just a couple of questions really
1. Will a 6ftL by about 2ftW by 2ftH be ok for one?
2. What setup would i need ?
3. Are these hardy fish ? Do they need a lot of maintenance ?
This would be my first saltwater aquarium , all my other tanks are fresh,
Iv been trying to read up online on how to keep them but information is limited , im struggling to find out how to keep one of these cool species , thanks people !

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So i was doing the worst thing to do when your bored ... Searching random crap on the net until i came across a catshark , oh my word there beautiful fish arnt they!
Now my mind is set on buying a new tank so i can have one !
The only place in my house witch does not have a fish tank is a wall in my kitchen wich would look great ..
Just a couple of questions really
1. Will a 6ftL by about 2ftW by 2ftH be ok for one?
2. What setup would i need ?
3. Are these hardy fish ? Do they need a lot of maintenance ?
This would be my first saltwater aquarium , all my other tanks are fresh,
Iv been trying to read up online on how to keep them but information is limited , im struggling to find out how to keep one of these cool species , thanks people !

1: I'd want a 3 foot wide tank so it has more room to turn around.
2: you'd need a sump style filtration with a big skimmer, Refugium or algae turf scrubber and live or dry rock. The display id want would be a fine deeper sand bed with lots of open sand bed and some large rock structures epoxied together. You still want to follow the lb of rock per gallon guideline.

3: no this is not a beginner fish at all. Getting them to eat can be tricky and they're very messy hence the need for a ton of filtration.

IMO this is not a fish I'd get my feet wet in sw with. Why not do a medium sized fish only with live rock tank to get the rhythm of keeping a sw setup first and then once you're comfortable with that work your way up to the shark.

1: I'd want a 3 foot wide tank so it has more room to turn around.
2: you'd need a sump style filtration with a big skimmer, Refugium or algae turf scrubber and live or dry rock. The display id want would be a fine deeper sand bed with lots of open sand bed and some large rock structures epoxied together. You still want to follow the lb of rock per gallon guideline.

3: no this is not a beginner fish at all. Getting them to eat can be tricky and they're very messy hence the need for a ton of filtration.

IMO this is not a fish I'd get my feet wet in sw with. Why not do a medium sized fish only with live rock tank to get the rhythm of keeping a sw setup first and then once you're comfortable with that work your way up to the shark.

Im glad i asked now .
Thanks for the info bud , im going to take your advice and turn an old tank of mine into a little live rock tank and see how i go before i do anything big ,
Last thing i want to do is jump in and put a fish into a bad environment ,
Thanks for your input !

Good plan! Start a thread so I can follow and help out :). I started with a little 10 gallon to get my feet wet, sw definitely grows on you and I'm sure you can work your way up to the shark

Back
Top Bottom