Caularepa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hmm dont know if i spelled it correctly...Anyways besides the point. My question is: I have heard alot of ups and downs with using caularepa. That it can possibly release toxins in your tank, while others say it dosent harm anything. What are the benefits of having it in your tank? Also, alot of people say to keep it in your sump or fuge not in your main display tank. Now if it does release toxins what would be the difference of where its placed if its in you display tank the toxins will be there no matter what after it leaves the fuge/sump?

Caulerpa

That it can possibly release toxins in your tank

If it goes sexual, yes it will release toxins in your tank.

What are the benefits of having it in your tank?

I takes up nutrients in your system and competes with pest algae (it should be noted I consider caulerpa another form of pest algae).

Also, alot of people say to keep it in your sump or fuge not in your main display tank.

This is not because of toxins, it's because of the incredible growth rate and pattern of caulerpa. Caulerpa grows fast 1" per day is not unheard of, if not more, and sends out runners, these runners will bore into the sand and rock and sessile inverts, irritating and eventually choking them out. IMO, unchecked caulerpa is more dangerous to your system than a bad case of hair algae, well maybe not, but close.

For macros I prefer Chaetomorph, sea grasses and halemida. None of those go sexual and they do a good job taking nutrients from the system.

What do you recommend for a 72 gallon, eventually to become a reef tank, with 40 gallon refuge underneath. I already have a 6inch live sand base in my fuge. With another 3-4 inches in my 72 with 80lbs of live rock. My tank has only been up a little over a week. No ammonia or nitrites. 400ppm calcium.

I was thinking of putting caulerpa in my fuge, but if it's not recommended than what?

What's your recommendation?

some do some dont.......most of mine dont but one frequently has bags of different kinds of macro

Any caulerpa has the potential to go sexual, grape is heard of most often, simply because it is the most widely available.

Back
Top Bottom