Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-27-2005, 12:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
I would think that when you trim your Caulerpa you still leave quite a bit in your refugium for it to export the excess nutrients your tank might have. Basically this is a natural cycle so your main as far as I might think will not suffer of excess nutrients.

Trimming the Caulerpa and feeding it is one of the best ways for it not to go sexual. I believe that they might go sexual when there are not enough nutients in their surroundings so they have to spread around (going sexual).
Well I did it some time ago when I successfully kept a Moorish Idol for at least 3 years until I moved and had to donate my beautiful fish to an aquarium... So sad...

hcuellart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Guys

I have some in my fuge too, but its not Grape, kinda like a mushroom shape... alone with Chaeto. What happens when it goes sexual? I havent trimmed mine much, but lately its taken off . Does it cause problems in main tank? Thanks

Salt will raise your blood pressure,
Saltwater will lower it .

Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so Brain, but there's still a bug in there from last time.
aquanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:34 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
When they go sexual they begin turning whitish and suddely disintegrate realising all the nutrients it had into the tank. All these released nutrients would damage your inverts... Trim it to keep it from going sexual. Well at least that worked for me...

I believe that when they run out of nutrients they go sexual...

Homero Cuellar
Old 07-28-2005, 01:28 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to pufferman
i just contacted one lfs that i go to here in CA, and the guy said that it is illegal in CA to sell caulerpa. WHAT! I just bought caulerpa from another lfs about a year ago. Did something happen that i dont know about? I am trying to look for a reefer in Bay Area, CA for some chaeto or caulerpa who has some he/she can give away.
30 gallon SW tank;EHEIM ECCO 2235 Canister Filter w/Miracle-Working Chemi-Pure
TetraTec UV1 UV Sterilizer;Rio 50 Powerhead ;130w PC lighting;33 Lbs. of Tonga Branch LR;Nature's Ocean Live Sand (the bagged stuff)
Livestock:2-Ocellaris Clownfish;9-Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs;1-Regal Tang;Zoanthids, Pineapple Brain coral, Sebae Anemone, Colt Coral, Galaxea
Tank Specs as of December 29, 2005:Ammonia:0;Nitrite: 0;Nitrate=0;Cu:0
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.028;Temp: 79-84 degrees F (Adjusts throughout the day)
pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
Here´s what I know happened some while back in California. Some time back Caulerpa taxifolia which was used in our hobby was somehow released into the CA coast. Probably by some hobbyist who decided to get rid of his/her trimmings in the toilet and ended up on the coast, it has been so invasive that it has caused a lot of damage to the natural flora and fauna in the state.

Not only in CA but also in the Mediterranean happened I believe in the 70's and 80's. Now all Caulerpa is considered a plague specifically the taxifolia variety. That is why it is of extreme importance to people living near coastal water to freeze and dispose this algae in the dry basket not in the drain.

Well thats how it got banned from CA...

Homero Cuellar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com