caulerpa algae.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drdre

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Where can i get some , and do any of you have some in your reef tanks? It seems to be very hard to find.

Check with a guy named "Ducky" in the forum. I think he has some from time to time.

Personally, I wouldn't put caulerpa in my reef tank. This stuff grows pretty fast and once it gets a foot hold, it's very hard to get rid of. Also, it goes sexually and needs constant pruning. Chaetomorpha is a better option. Check/watch the classifieds and barter/trade listings.

I have tons, its never gone sexual, and I think its a great nitrate reducer, chaeto wasn't as prolific for me. Would be glad to send you some.

thank you

I would love if you could send me some. I will pay shipping or a fee for them whatever you would like. My name is andre and my address is 3667 king george drive, orlando , florida 32835. just let me know how you would like to do it and it would be very much appreciated. :D

There was a documentary done on caulerpa algae. You should check it out. Here are just a few sites to check out as well. Lots of people keep it but it needs to be pruned regularly and it grows fast. It is a mixed blessing as you'll find out. It would be a great plant for a refugium. Please read about the toxicity, etc. Good luck.

http://www.hawaii.edu/reefalgae/invasive_algae/chloro/caulerpa_taxifolia.htm

http://swr.nmfs.noaa.gov/hcd/caulerpa.htm

http://www.mbnms.nos.noaa.gov/Research/techreports/Caulerpa.html

zuzecawi said:
I have tons, its never gone sexual,

You are sitting on a ticking timebomb. It WILL go sexual unless you are pruning it very regularly. On the lines of pruning, this stuff is so prolific
that it can cover your rock and corals in no time. There are MANY more acceptable alternatives out there.

Fluff said:
Lots of people keep it but it needs to be pruned regularly and it grows fast. It is a mixed blessing as you'll find out. It would be a great plant for a refugium.

Cindy - it is so funny you said this the other day to me - now my caulerpa is growing like crazy! :silly: It has been fine - growing at a very controllable rate - right up until you said that! 8O
And suddenly, I have what looks like tiny little white flowers growing on it. I keep pruning it (like every other day) and more and more runners pop up. Thank goodness for the refugium I started. All the cuttings are going right in there.

drdre - I would listen to Fluff if I were you - she's been right-on with her advice. :D

Hey Fluff do you have any of those links for Grape Calerpa. I keep my fuge full of it and feed my tangs with it. I believe the secret to keeping it from going sexual is keeping it in your fuge only and keeping lights on 24/7. But I have heard what the advisors are saying to be true. And without predators of this macro algea in your tank it will overtake your tank. I`d listen to them also.

I have just about every version of calerpa in my tank. It is everywhere, but it started out just in the refugium. I agree that it will go crazy very quickly and it does take constant pruning. Originally, I had chaeto in my tank; it died out before I put the calerpa in the tank. I like zuzecawi had very poor luck with it.

I have had my tank over two years and have had the calerpa in it the whole time. It has never gone sexual. In the next few weeks I plan to purchase a rabbitfish to help me with pruning for the simple fact that Fluff and Hara are right, it will eventually happen.

Melosu58,
I don't have any sites with specific info on grape caulerpa but it all pretty much behaves the same. Caulerpa is great, in a controlled enviroment. That's the only point I'm trying to make. It's not something I would want in my reef. Plenty of people do though and take the time to prune it constantly. For me, it's just not worth it. With the good I've read on it, there's plenty of bad to counter it. Once it gets a foot hold into your liverock, it's very difficult to get rid of should you choose to do so.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/caulerpaalg.htm

Tangs will take care of it better. I have three and cant find a drop of it in the main. Yellow tang is the biggest eater of it. they love that Calerpa. I have to put a ball as big as a softball in there every week and its gone in a few days.

strange, my cal is slowly withering away in my main. it's actually coated in cyano now. I am wondering if this is a sign of a problem in my tank, that I can't grow macro, but I'm overrun with cyano. any ideas?

I run phosban, and don't feed much.

strange, my cal is slowly withering away in my main. it's actually coated in cyano now. I am wondering if this is a sign of a problem in my tank, that I can't grow macro, but I'm overrun with cyano. any ideas?
What's the waterflow like? Do you have your powerheads at random angles? Do their flows intersect? You need a lot of chaos to combat the cyano outbreaks. Watermovement wise, that is. And caulerpa like any macro, even though it does eat up nitrates, too high of a nitrate presence will inhibit its growth. 65lbs of liverock might not be enough either, I run 140lbs in my 58. And yes, there is plenty of room left for fish and coral!

Back to the caulerpa thread... for those who say it's a "ticking time bomb" I have to say I think that's a bit dramatic. I've had reef tanks for 10 years now, and never a nuking incident save once, long ago, with a not well researched sea cucumber (seemed like a good idea at the time). To those who say that yes, it's rampantly prolific, I have to agree, but the only time I've ever witnessed caulerpa go sexual was when it began to compete itself for light. Hey, it's a big ocean though, and I can think of other reasons not to use it, but for me, it's been a great addition. Pruning it is great if you're patient, but be warned that small pieces grow into big pieces, and if you're going to prune by hand remove ALL The fragments that result or else you're actually going to end up with more than you started out removing to begin with. Please DON'T FLUSH YOUR CAULERPA PRUNINGS!!! This stuff can very quickly and easily devastate natural ecosystems, especially all you coastal folks. When I do cut mine back, I cut it in long streams, and I let them dry out before throwing them into the garbage, which goes to a above ground landfill. Foxfaces and tangs are great natural grazers, and seem unbothered by caulerpa. My blenny seems to eat it too. You can keep it to the refugium as long as it doesn't get into your return pump. If you're into seahorses caulerpa and sea grass can be utterly invaluable, since it is a GREAT habitat for little shrimps.
And I really don't know why the chaeto sucks so bad in my tank... I have a few balls of it rolling around but it just doesn't remain. It utterly failed in my refugiums. I use RO/DI water and have great parameters, so it's beyond me. Maybe it just hates pc lighting.

Back
Top Bottom