Cauliflower Colt Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kart_racer3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings!

I have a question about a cauliflower colt coral that I have just purchased and has been adjusting to my aquarium water for about one week now. During shipping on the way home from the pet store the coral appeared to "shrink", possibly due to stress? And, after spending a day in the aquarium it began to return to normal size. It remained like this for about three days, at which time I added DT's Live Marine Phytoplankton to the water so that it and other corals would have a nutrient source. The next day I checked the tank the colt coral had shrunken down even smaller than when it was being shipped, and has remained like that for several days. Is this normal? I noticed that it had a "mucus coating" on it, which I read somewhere could turn toxic if water circulation doesn't carry it away. Is this true? Any ideas on what is normal for my coral and what could help it return to normal? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

it is most likely just shedding. you can help by keeping the flow good around it or blasting it with a turkey baster. this is very common after they move into a new enviroment and will become less frequent as it becomes used to its new home.
just a note. be careful dosing too much extra food. most corals get what they need for food from good lighting.

steve r

Thanks for the information. Is it beneficial to leave the mucus coating on the coral? Or is it recommended to use the baster semi often as the coral goes through the acclimation period? Would it be beneficial to use my water additive in small amounts every so often during an elongated time period? (i.e. twice a month) Also in the tank is a button polyp. Does it also get it's nutrient source from the water and lighting? Thanks again!

The "button" will need foods in the size range of zooplankton and will get nothing from the phyto additions, mysid, decopods and the like. The Alcyonium sp. (if that is what you mean by cauliflower) will benefit from it somewhat but really depends on the micron size of the phyto iteslf. To a large degree, fish waste ends up feeding these guys with less poluting effects than an additional food additive along with an appropriate amount of light. If you wish to use it (phyto), no worries, just use sparingly and no more than about once a week, twice at most.

As for the turkey baster, be sure the coral is getting a good amount of non linear flow and it will do most of itslef. Don't be in a hurry to help it out as you can end up doing more harm than good. More commonly it will shed most of the outward tissue on it's own but may need a wee bit of help near the end. For the most part, let it be and try not to move it about.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom