CBS is a fish killer!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry about your lose. Was the fish still alive when you saw the CBS eating it? If not, it could have died of other causes and the shrimp was just cleaning up house. Either way, too bad you killed it. It was just doing what CBS do. :cry: Natual behavior. If you want some good color you could try a blood shrimp.

my guess is the fish died and then the shrimp did what it is supposed to do, clean up the leftovers. A lawnmower blennie could not have had much to eat in just a 15 gallon tank, maybe it starved to death.

kinda rough on the shrimp .....

I can't really tell where the blenny was still alive, but when I saw it as the CBS already have his claws into the blenny's eyes :( And I know the CBS have been trying to get my damsel and clown fish before, but again those two are just lots bigger and faster than the blenny and the CBS, and I'm pretty much sure that the blenny was healthy as an pitbull as my tank got cleaned up nicely of the green algea :( and there is still lot of algea need to be cleaned up so can't be starved as I supplied wafer as well...

It's pretty tough for a shrimp(other than a mantis) to take down a healthy fish. Some fish seem pretty slow but they can really move when they need to. Poor shrimp,you could have taken him back to your lfs.

Wow,

If ever in Quincy, MA I will make sure I am on my best behavior so as not to accidently upset you 8O .

Seriously, sorry for your loss, but you might want to do a little more detective work. First of all a 15 gal is a little small for SW and water levels are tougher to maintain. In the interest of your other inhabitants you might want to check your levels.

I just added a CBS to my 75gal well stocked(politically correct for overstocked) setup this past week. As soon as I read your post I closely inspected and all inhabitants were still present. Before adding the CBS I did my homework including checking here and everyone advise me that a CBS is a pretty compatible tank mate.

I fear you may have punished the CBS for its natural behavior. I would not add anything else to your setup until you verify all is currently well. How many fish do you have anyway?

Best of luck,

I have the tank for nearly a year now, I only have a damsel, a clown and a LM blenny, the rest are snails and the CBS :( Honestly I did saw the CBS clawing at my nemo and the damsel before, and yet the CBS doest harras one of my peppermint to death before, this I witness the whole thing as the CBS clawed off legges from my peppermint before kill it :( And the blenny was add to the tank about a month ago, and I knew I saw the blenny was cleanning the rock last nite...

LOL.... man I laughed my butt off at that..... I would recommend cleaners... they're more active than the fire shrimp..... beneficial to the fish too... I feel 'ya on the CBS... .got rid of mine a few weeks ago....

i ve had one in my 75 for amonth and a halfish. honestly when I came back from a trip i was kinda woried that my family had bought it. The other day i turned the light on at night and my purplefirefish was laying on the ground behind the rock right under the coral banded. I was so mad until he started swimming so i guess i judged the little guy. He always goes to his territory in a little hole two seconds after the lights turned out and when i saw him half way across the tank (I could only see the tip of his tail) it really worried me. I guess he is pretty interesting now. He really only "attacks" when a fish gets in his territory but you can barely call it an attack. Maybe you killed him for eating a dead fish or maybe he did kill it. Either way Im sure the lfs would take him back.

Don't cbs also provide cleaner services? Might not be seeing "attacks" at all. In any case, it is generally better karma to isolate and find a new home for incompatible tank mates.

You did what?

I too, am sorry for your loss, but that sort of behavior seems highly irresponsible to me, if not downright cruel. :|

Personal feelings and past history aside, what kind of invert are you looking for? Ornamental or clean up? Anything else to be avoided?

In all honesty, I'm a bit hesitant to suggest anything for fear it might meet the same fate - stress for you, aggravation for you, and no picnic for the invert either.

I very seriously doubt that a CBS could take out a healthy LM Blenny. I've got a CBS and it is always pecking at my fish, crabs and snails. The thing is, he can't really do much of anything to them and he is way bigger than my jawfish that he tries to get. My clown took off one of his legs a few weeks back when he got to close to my RBTA....... CBS are Harmless.

You probably have a bigger problem than the shrimp you killed. Either that, or the blenny starved to death (which is highly likely).

i think the lm blenny asked for lasic surgery and you stopped it half way thru :)
seriously though ya could of posted a cbs for free on this site alot of people would have paid the shipping to take him from you ! bad move on your part

Well... I would say that you kinda need to relax a bit. Crushing an animals legs and flushing it down a drain is rather cruel and irresponsible. :(

My CBS is a bit defensive. He doesn't like the fish getting to close and he will turn and face them, spread out his arms, and try to scare them off. He has never tried to attack them and I have yet to hear of one attacking other tankmates. My CBS really hates my net more than anything!

It is most likely that your Blenny died from some other cause and your CBS was just cleaning up. Now you need to try and figure out what your Bleeny died from.

Oh NO Here comes the CBS Police.......................... :usa
I had one and it was a killer also. I put in a bicolor blenny and as soon as it hit the tank the CBS was on him and grabbed him by the tail, I had to poke him with a dowel to get it to let go. The Bi color was doing well and eating. I saw the CBS go after him several times during a week. Then one morning I did not see the Bicolor, I looked all over and then i saw him 8O .... He was being eaten by the CBS :slurp:
I caught the CBS and took him back to the LFS.
I would not consider a CBS as a cleaner like a skunk cleaner. There more of a scavenger shrimp IMO.

Sorry, but stuff like your behavior makes me mad. The blenny probably was already dead and the CBS was providing you a clean-up service.

Back
Top Bottom