Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2004, 09:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nguyen27 Send a message via Yahoo to nguyen27
CBS is a fish killer!!!

Edit...

Old 11-29-2004, 09:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry about your lose. Was the fish still alive when you saw the CBS eating it? If not, it could have died of other causes and the shrimp was just cleaning up house. Either way, too bad you killed it. It was just doing what CBS do. Natual behavior. If you want some good color you could try a blood shrimp.

Old 11-29-2004, 09:44 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
my guess is the fish died and then the shrimp did what it is supposed to do, clean up the leftovers. A lawnmower blennie could not have had much to eat in just a 15 gallon tank, maybe it starved to death.

kinda rough on the shrimp .....
Old 11-29-2004, 09:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I can't really tell where the blenny was still alive, but when I saw it as the CBS already have his claws into the blenny's eyes And I know the CBS have been trying to get my damsel and clown fish before, but again those two are just lots bigger and faster than the blenny and the CBS, and I'm pretty much sure that the blenny was healthy as an pitbull as my tank got cleaned up nicely of the green algea and there is still lot of algea need to be cleaned up so can't be starved as I supplied wafer as well...
Old 11-29-2004, 09:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's pretty tough for a shrimp(other than a mantis) to take down a healthy fish. Some fish seem pretty slow but they can really move when they need to. Poor shrimp,you could have taken him back to your lfs.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow,

If ever in Quincy, MA I will make sure I am on my best behavior so as not to accidently upset you 8O .

Seriously, sorry for your loss, but you might want to do a little more detective work. First of all a 15 gal is a little small for SW and water levels are tougher to maintain. In the interest of your other inhabitants you might want to check your levels.

I just added a CBS to my 75gal well stocked(politically correct for overstocked) setup this past week. As soon as I read your post I closely inspected and all inhabitants were still present. Before adding the CBS I did my homework including checking here and everyone advise me that a CBS is a pretty compatible tank mate.

I fear you may have punished the CBS for its natural behavior. I would not add anything else to your setup until you verify all is currently well. How many fish do you have anyway?

Best of luck,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to XxTitleisTxX
Yea, i agree.... Theres a goot chance it was already dead, or you have a very talented CBS but i am sorry for your loss
Old 11-29-2004, 10:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have the tank for nearly a year now, I only have a damsel, a clown and a LM blenny, the rest are snails and the CBS Honestly I did saw the CBS clawing at my nemo and the damsel before, and yet the CBS doest harras one of my peppermint to death before, this I witness the whole thing as the CBS clawed off legges from my peppermint before kill it And the blenny was add to the tank about a month ago, and I knew I saw the blenny was cleanning the rock last nite...
Old 11-29-2004, 10:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LOL.... man I laughed my butt off at that..... I would recommend cleaners... they're more active than the fire shrimp..... beneficial to the fish too... I feel 'ya on the CBS... .got rid of mine a few weeks ago....
Old 11-29-2004, 10:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Someone needs anger management 8O 8O Poor lil;; shrimp 8O 8O

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com