Certain Threatened Coral Imports Now Banned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably a mix up, but seems contained to SoCal, so mostly stuff coming into LAX. Nothing alarming IMO, as it says nothing about being illegal to sell, frag, swap or own those twenty corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No US Gov't agency has any regulatory control over what can/cannot be imported to Canada. However, the Canadian gov't may follow our "lead".

Again, I'm hoping this is just a screw up, since the initial report said that there were no immediate plans to ban these corals.

(spoonman, no worries, check my sig)

Probably a mix up, but seems contained to SoCal, so mostly stuff coming into LAX. Nothing alarming IMO, as it says nothing about being illegal to sell, frag, swap or own those twenty corals.

Most, if not all, of the corals from the Pacific enter through the ports in LA. This would have effects across the US.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk as I don't own a saltwater aquarium but Im glad they're starting to crack down on coral collection. Our reefs are already disappearing, why should we help the destruction along? There is plenty of coral being aua-cultured for the aquarium trade why should we decimate wild stocks? I stand behind regulation of the industry especially when it comes to species in dire situations.

Me and my local reef club was talking about the government talking cracking down on it. They didn't just want to stop us from importing, but also wanted to not allow us to take coral across the state lines. There was also talk of a ban of importation and trading across state lines of clownfish. Seems ridiculous because a customs agent can't tell acros apart and if that is an endangered species or not.

Me and my local reef club was talking about the government talking cracking down on it. They didn't just want to stop us from importing, but also wanted to not allow us to take coral across the state lines. There was also talk of a ban of importation and trading across state lines of clownfish. Seems ridiculous because a customs agent can't tell acros apart and if that is an endangered species or not.

Im fine with limiting importation but not allowing you to bring it across state lines is insane. It really accomplishes nothing. Are clownfish even imported anymore with such widespread breeding?

Im fine with limiting importation but not allowing you to bring it across state lines is insane. It really accomplishes nothing. Are clownfish even imported anymore with such widespread breeding?
Not a whole lot are anymore. Some organization representing the hobbiest wrote some big thing about us hobbiest are actually helping the reefs. Ill dig up the paper tomorrow.

Not a whole lot are anymore. Some organization representing the hobbiest wrote some big thing about us hobbiest are actually helping the reefs. Ill dig up the paper tomorrow.

Ok, Id like to see the article. :) post a thread with the link. I just can't believe that taking from reefs that are suffering already can help in any way. :( Hopefully theres some good info in the article. (y)

I'm okay with limiting the imports if it helps a dwindling coral population, but the idea of making it illegal to buy aqua cultured or home grown makes zero sense and almost seems counter productive. If I grow a banned coral at home and frag pieces to give to friends, it has zero impact on the reefs they are trying to save, so why try to stop that. Same concept for all the aquafarms in the US that already have these corals and that grow these corals. If I have the same coral and decide to sell my tank, I can't include that coral? A lot of this seems overkill and would be tough to enforce.

I think the confusion now is that you have two agencies saying two different things and it sounds like one is jumping the gun a bit.

This is absurd. I loathe politicians and people pushing unfounded ideas and agendas. The damage done to the reefs by aquarists is absolutely miniscule when compared to other sources.

There's an update to the article. As hoped, the decision to ban the import was in error.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom