Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Certain Threatened Coral Imports Now Banned

https://rettalbot.wordpress.com/2014...ls-is-illegal/

Hopefully it's a mixup...

Old 09-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Wonder what this means for Canada if anything?

Old 09-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Probably a mix up, but seems contained to SoCal, so mostly stuff coming into LAX. Nothing alarming IMO, as it says nothing about being illegal to sell, frag, swap or own those twenty corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

No US Gov't agency has any regulatory control over what can/cannot be imported to Canada. However, the Canadian gov't may follow our "lead".

Again, I'm hoping this is just a screw up, since the initial report said that there were no immediate plans to ban these corals.

(spoonman, no worries, check my sig)
Old 09-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Probably a mix up, but seems contained to SoCal, so mostly stuff coming into LAX. Nothing alarming IMO, as it says nothing about being illegal to sell, frag, swap or own those twenty corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Most, if not all, of the corals from the Pacific enter through the ports in LA. This would have effects across the US.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
What are you hoping is a mix up, that the corals are not going to available, or that they are endangered?

if they are endangered then you should be 110% behind any restrictions to try and save them in the wild, true?
Old 09-16-2014, 11:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I don't mean to sound like a jerk as I don't own a saltwater aquarium but Im glad they're starting to crack down on coral collection. Our reefs are already disappearing, why should we help the destruction along? There is plenty of coral being aua-cultured for the aquarium trade why should we decimate wild stocks? I stand behind regulation of the industry especially when it comes to species in dire situations.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Me and my local reef club was talking about the government talking cracking down on it. They didn't just want to stop us from importing, but also wanted to not allow us to take coral across the state lines. There was also talk of a ban of importation and trading across state lines of clownfish. Seems ridiculous because a customs agent can't tell acros apart and if that is an endangered species or not.
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
Me and my local reef club was talking about the government talking cracking down on it. They didn't just want to stop us from importing, but also wanted to not allow us to take coral across the state lines. There was also talk of a ban of importation and trading across state lines of clownfish. Seems ridiculous because a customs agent can't tell acros apart and if that is an endangered species or not.
Im fine with limiting importation but not allowing you to bring it across state lines is insane. It really accomplishes nothing. Are clownfish even imported anymore with such widespread breeding?
Old 09-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
Im fine with limiting importation but not allowing you to bring it across state lines is insane. It really accomplishes nothing. Are clownfish even imported anymore with such widespread breeding?
Not a whole lot are anymore. Some organization representing the hobbiest wrote some big thing about us hobbiest are actually helping the reefs. Ill dig up the paper tomorrow.

3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, coral, eat, ten

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com