CF bulb lifespan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 96 watt quad CF coralife fixture....I have had it for about 4 months, and all my corals are doing very vell, even some SPS growth under this light!

How long do they last, when should I replace the bulb?

Also, I see Current makes a 96 watt quad bulb....I have heard that Current lights are better....would it be true in this case?

In all probability, the tubes may be from the same manufacturer...
I would replace them based on the duration of your photoperiod: 8 hours a day= every six or seven months...12 hours a day= every four months.

Awsome, I will change them out in about 2 months......can you visually notice when they need to be changed?

Also, it would probably be a good idea to keep my old bulb in case the new one burns out huh?

I would think, you might have an algae bloom, when they start to fade....but I could be wrong.

roka64, you are not wrong. When the tubes shift in color, or fade, there will be a noticable increase in unwanted cyano and algae. It is best to avoid allowing the light to reach this point of degradation. Not only is battling the unwanted growth tedious, you also have the shock of the new, much more intense tube adversly affecting your corals. Picture taking a house plant, accustomed to indirect lighting, and place it out in the middle of a parking lot. Waiting too long to change out lights, especially when it is only one, can have the same "burning " effect on your corals the hypothetical house plant would undoubtably suffer.

That sounds reasonable. So, should the bulbs be replaced at regular intervals?

I have VHO`s but I make it a point to change mine every 6 months. Like Afish said ,like clockwork.

When the tubes shift in color, or fade, there will be a noticable increase in unwanted cyano and algae.

yes and no. I would not expect cyano really..it could happen, but imo you'd be more likely to get just regular green/brown algae. But for algae to grow, theres gotta be something to feed it (nitrates/phosphates), so its possible to keep the same lights for over a year and not see any algae, tho that would be bad on the corals cuz you wont have the same spectrum. When the bulbs age, they lose their full spectrum, and this lower spectrum is what the algae favors so it will likely take off if there is any algae in there, but imo it wouldnt be the "cause" of the algae.

Back
Top Bottom