Chaeto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minkin

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've been looking into using this to lower my nitrates a little.

Can anyone tell me how it works?

Where I put it in my tank?

Do I have to do anything to it?

As it grows it uses up nitrates in the water and when you trim it, you are removing the nitrates from the tank. Most people put it in a their sump or refugeum as its quick growth can be a nuisance in the display tank. All you have to do is give it light and sit back while it grows, trimming along the way. Most people choose to use a reverse light cycle as the display tank to help keep ph frpm dropping at night.

While we're on the topic...I've never used it, but was recently thinking of adding it. How much light does it need? I've got an acrylic tank with the built-in chambers in the back. I was thinking of throwing some in the first chamber and just getting a little LED for light. Would that work?

That should be fine with the LEDs , in the sump a clip on light fixture with a 6500 k pigtail bulb. I run mine from7 am to 10 or. 11pm. Works great if you have the room in the sump put a couple of rocks and some mangrove seeds in between the rocks for more filtration. Pull a piece off when it's to large and give it to a fellow reefer!

I've got a couple of questions.

I've got an all in one 30g tank. So I have 4 small chambers in the back of my tank.

Could I put it in one of my chambers?

How many hours of light per day does the chaeto need?

Will I need to attach it to something? Will it float or sink?

As long as the chamber is not ripping current just because little piece can break off and clog up a impeller or such. I run about 14-16 hrs of light some go 24/7 at least 12 IMO.anddddd

Could I get an in tank refugium and put the cheato in there?

And what is the cheapest light I can get for it to grow?

In tank fuge can have a light option which will look nicer than a hang on shop light. Maybe your display tank light might be enough for it.

Bundle it with a piece of thread, it will help keep it planted where you want it. Almost any light will do. Cheap reflector and fluorescent bulb works fine.

What do you meen bundle it with a piece of thread??

Do you meen attach it to something?

I try to keep it from getting to unruly and so I tie it up in the middle like a bundle of twigs. Then use a lettuce clip to hold in place.

I was thking of mangroves in bk of tank with cheato around stalks letting grow out of top. Has anyone done this before

Back
Top Bottom