Chaeto lighting - still no growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Still not getting any noticable growth from my chaeto in my sump/fuge.

I've got 2 PC reflector socket-type bulbs over it (the 18w ones that put out like 75w of light) at 2700K I think. There's plenty of water flow, but its not turbulent or anything.

It seems to do a little better when lit 24/7, but I've read that they need a "rest" period.

Most of it looks fine, nice and green, but I've got some brownish areas, and its just not growing after over a month.

Any suggestions?

What is the lighting schedule?

Somewhere I read that you should have it on at night and off during the day . . . . maybe I heard it here?

HTH

I've tried on from 8PM to 8AM, and on 24/7 - I don't see much difference.

EELectric said:
Somewhere I read that you should have it on at night and off during the day . . . . maybe I heard it here?
That helps stabilize ph and really only Caulerpa should be lit 24/7 IMO although a lot of aquarist light chaeto 24/7 as well and still have good success with it.

What are your water parameters i.e. ph/sg/temp/no3/po4? Have you added any supplement iron or magnesium? How long have you had it? Have you pruned all the brown off?

8.2, 1.022, 79F, no3 is 10ppm, I don't test for phosphate. Everything is dead stable, except the slow creep of nitrates, kept at bay with weekly PWC.

With it on 24/7, there shouldn't be any pH fluctuations from the chaeto, should there? I see how this could offset typical daytime/nighttime pH fluctuations in the main tank, but I don't think my fuge/sump is going to make much difference there.

I do add purple-up (calcium and iodine and aragonite) from time to time, to help get my LR growing coralline and I've been told its good for inverts. After a week I've got red patches everywhere.

No iron or magnesium added, chaeto is just over a month old.

I suppose I should prune back the brown areas, but its sort of mixed in with the good, might take some time but I'll do it.

The water level in the pic below is low - I'm just getting ready to do a PWC, so i'm not going to bother topping off right now.

You can make out some of the brownish areas in the top left...

DSC00591.JPG

DSC00592.JPG

Pruning the brown is going to help the most IMO. I assume you check for ca levels since your adding Purple up (mostly just ca additive) and I’d try to keep it at or just below 420 for best results.

Lighting your chaeto 24/7 sometimes causes die off and IME it does better with a rest period which you might as well do during the day to off set the normal ph increase when your lights are on in the main tank.

You still will see ph swings even with a reverse photo period but it will be lessened. Lighting your fuge 24/7 will not increase your ph beyond normal parameters.

Lastly I’ve noticed chaeto does best with a sg closer to 1.024 but your level shouldn’t be limiting its growth. Iron supplements help to some extent but make sure you use a good iron test kit to keep from overdosing.

Grape calerpa fan here but you do have to be careful and follow the guidelines. To me it works better than cheato but as mentioned 24/7 lighting is needed and constant pruning which I do by feeding my tangs.

It may be the 2.7K light your running over your sump. I use a 5K or a 5.1K lamp that I got at Home Depot. I run it 24/7 over my chaeto and need to trim it about once every couple of months. Here's website page from our DFWMAS president's website that could help also.

http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

Attachments

• 5100k_bulb_188.jpg
    5100k_bulb_188.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 43
No_Floaters...

Read that article on Melev's awhile back. I tried to find those lights locally - no luck at HD or Lowe's. I'll probably order some, but I thought 2700K was okay for them (although not the greatest).

Back
Top Bottom