Chaeto question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willbratz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10 gallon sump with two areas, one side live rock the other side equipment. If I wanted to run cheato in my sump do I just placed it in with the live rock? And since this is where the water flows into the sump can I just place it in there, or do I need to arrange the rock so that the cheato is fully submerged

Yes, you want the cheato submerged, and it can go in your LR chamber...... Now, no offense, but if I read that correctly, you are running your sump bass-ackwards. If you compare your sump to the workings of a canister filter, you want the input water to come through a filter sock, which acts as the rough sponge, then dropping into the equipment chamber where the skimmer acts like the filter floss, THEN the clean water goes into the LR chamber, which is your biological media. The way you have it run, all the rough detritus is passing over & through the biological media first...... which is going to settle, rot, & nitrify.

Last edited:
Yes, you want the cheato submerged, and it can go in your LR chamber...... Now, no offense, but if I read that correctly, you are running your sump bass-ackwards. If you compare your sump to the workings of a canister filter, you want the input water to come through a filter sock, which acts as the rough sponge, then dropping into the equipment chamber where the skimmer acts like the filter floss, THEN the clean water goes into the LR chamber, which is your biological media. The way you have it run, all the rough detritus is passing over & through the biological media first...... which is going to settle, rot, & nitrify.

None taken, but it's not possible for my water to drop into the skimmer portion cause the skimmer would not allow the water flow into it. I'm gonna post a pic so you can see what I'm talking about. It's just not possible.

Plus my water falls over filter media, then into the LR chamber, then into the skimmer, pump, Phosban chamber area.

Here are pics to help depict my setup. This is why what your saying cannot be done on my sump, and I think it is setup correctly.

Attachments

• image-1883958156.jpg
    image-1883958156.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 62
  • image-3446314131.jpg
    image-3446314131.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image-3303792671.jpg
    image-3303792671.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 116
  • image-3744872271.jpg
    image-3744872271.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 90
  • image-2839809732.jpg
    image-2839809732.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 69
  • image-1332667219.jpg
    image-1332667219.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 88
Thanks, I guess I'll start moving the LR around to make an opening in the middle to add it this coming weekend.

Back
Top Bottom