Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you think that I should start dosing Iron in the tank? I was also considering using a mud substrate instead of the live sand that I have been using. In the next couple of weeks, I will most likely be setting up a new sump and thought that it would be a good time to start off making some adjustments during this time. I heard that mud substrates bind phoshates and naturally help keep iron levels up. Do you think that putting the skimmer chamber in the new sump after the refuge would be a good idea? Your thoughts and ideas are most appreciated? Thanks........

Old 04-29-2007, 07:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Do you think that I should start dosing Iron in the tank?
I would test first. Check out what this says about dosing iron, among other things- http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php
Quote:
Do you think that putting the skimmer chamber in the new sump after the refuge would be a good idea?
I would put it before the fuge. IMO that would be better b/c then you have less DOC's getting into the rock, LS, and/or mud in the fuge. Your skimmer will perform best when getting surface water directly from the tank, before anything else filters it. I run my sump w/ the skimmer before the fuge, and many pictures I've seen of sumps are set up the same way. I've never heard of it being an issue. HTH

Tags
chaeto

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com