Chaetomorpha Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 75 gallon with no ref/sump but I have heard this stuff is great for your tank.

Any suggestions on adding it?

how would you go about doing it.

Are you having problems with nitrates or phosphates. I have calerpa in my refugium. IMO a better exporter of excessive nutrients but a little more riskier also.

i don't have a phosphate test kit yet (i know I added to the must have sooner then list) but based on my alage bloom and a lack of nitrates in the water I am guessing I do have a phosphate problem.

I also understand that it is just good to have but I want to go with Chaetomorpha Algae cause it is less risky I heard with sexing calerpa can dumb all its excessive nutrients and lead to spikes.

Yes that`s why it`s riskier. I have mine in a fuge with the lighting on 24/7 and contantly keep it pruned. No problem yet under those conditions.

so how would I keep Chaetomorpha Algae in a 75 gallon with no sump / ref?

Add it to the tank unless you have Tangs.. They would love to eat that stuff.

I have seen people make a basket out of plastic mesh and keep the cheato in it behind their rockwork. The best place for any macro algae is a refugium. Depending on the amount of flow you have in your tank you may find the cheato floating around the tank and could get stuck in a power head. It doesn't root like other macro so it will be free floating in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom