Chaetomorpha & Caulerpa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DirtySubstrate

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys Couple of questions regarding this..

From reading here I guess these are mainly used in refugiums but I currently have some Caulerpa in my main. I personally like the over grown wild look it provides to tank. Not to mention my fish eat it like crazy. I just read in the post below it can cause a tank to cloud and release chemicals. When it causes the cloudiness does it create a spike in any of the tests? Would Chaetomorpha be a better bet if being used in a main tank situation?

From what I've read (I don't own any), Caulerpa tends to go sexual when it gets crowded as a self preservation thing (too dense for light to penetrate through it, etc). As long as the fish are keeping it pruned you should be ok. I think it starts to change (white strikes my mind) when it is ready to go sexual on you. You could always switch over to chaeto if the thought of it going sexual in your tank makes you nervous though.

I'll be putting chaeto in my fuge. Too chicken to run with Caulerpa.

normally, pruning will prevent caulerpa from going sexual....I would think that if the fish are doing a nice job keeping it pruned, you will not have any problems.

Back
Top Bottom