Chalk bass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josh1158

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about getting 3 chalk bass . I have a 55 tank thats about 1/2 to 2/3 rock. Can anyone educate me on them?

I have one in my 30 gallon reef. Like previously said they have large personalitys and are very quick! Mine eats nls pellets and mysis. He is always swimming around and he has never ever been agressive to my other fish. I dont know why people think they are agressive, mine has never been. Good luck! You will love them!

Moved to SW Reef Aquaria.

I have one in my 30 gallon reef. Like previously said they have large personalitys and are very quick! Mine eats nls pellets and mysis. He is always swimming around and he has never ever been agressive to my other fish. I dont know why people think they are agressive, mine has never been. Good luck! You will love them!

But you've only had it for a couple of months, right? That's barely enough time for a marine fish to get settled into its new environment, and is in no way indicative of long term experiences with the fish. Example: I had a half black angel for about 6 months before it started eating my coral. 2 months in I would have told you that my fish didn't eat coral. Just sayin.

True, but if my chalk bass was agressive, i feel like i would have noticed that by now. I understand what you mean, but i havent noticed any agression at all. Only time will tell i guess

severum mama said:
Moved to SW Reef Aquaria.

But you've only had it for a couple of months, right? That's barely enough time for a marine fish to get settled into its new environment, and is in no way indicative of long term experiences with the fish. Example: I had a half black angel for about 6 months before it started eating my coral. 2 months in I would have told you that my fish didn't eat coral. Just sayin.

Makes sense. I can see why nunu thinks ours is not agressive though. The chalk bass will hang out with the clown ALL the time. They do really well together.

Hopefully it stays that way

They aren't aggressive, but listed as semi-aggressive. I just want it to be stated that the possibility is there. I never had issues with my chalk bass with aggression. It was very timid as the other fish in the tank bullied it and it only came out during feeding time.

Sniperhank said:
They aren't aggressive, but listed as semi-aggressive. I just want it to be stated that the possibility is there. I never had issues with my chalk bass with aggression. It was very timid as the other fish in the tank bullied it and it only came out during feeding time.

Poor guy! They are such great fish!

I'm not worried about the aggression. I dont plan on puting any other fish in with them. The only thing I'm worried about is the engineer bleny I have that likes to eat anything that fits in it's mouth.

Josh1158 said:
How many would fit in a 55gal tank?

Not sure. Ive seen 3 in a 30 so i think maybe 4-6 if nothing else is in there. They do well in larger numbers right?

Back
Top Bottom