Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Chalk bass

I'm thinking about getting 3 chalk bass . I have a 55 tank thats about 1/2 to 2/3 rock. Can anyone educate me on them?

Old 03-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

They are colorful and active darting around the tank to snag food. They are kinda aggressive, but should be ok if you add them at the same time.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have one in my 30 gallon reef. Like previously said they have large personalitys and are very quick! Mine eats nls pellets and mysis. He is always swimming around and he has never ever been agressive to my other fish. I dont know why people think they are agressive, mine has never been. Good luck! You will love them!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Moved to SW Reef Aquaria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
I have one in my 30 gallon reef. Like previously said they have large personalitys and are very quick! Mine eats nls pellets and mysis. He is always swimming around and he has never ever been agressive to my other fish. I dont know why people think they are agressive, mine has never been. Good luck! You will love them!
But you've only had it for a couple of months, right? That's barely enough time for a marine fish to get settled into its new environment, and is in no way indicative of long term experiences with the fish. Example: I had a half black angel for about 6 months before it started eating my coral. 2 months in I would have told you that my fish didn't eat coral. Just sayin.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

True, but if my chalk bass was agressive, i feel like i would have noticed that by now. I understand what you mean, but i havent noticed any agression at all. Only time will tell i guess
Old 03-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama
Moved to SW Reef Aquaria.

But you've only had it for a couple of months, right? That's barely enough time for a marine fish to get settled into its new environment, and is in no way indicative of long term experiences with the fish. Example: I had a half black angel for about 6 months before it started eating my coral. 2 months in I would have told you that my fish didn't eat coral. Just sayin.
Makes sense. I can see why nunu thinks ours is not agressive though. The chalk bass will hang out with the clown ALL the time. They do really well together.

Hopefully it stays that way
Old 03-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

They aren't aggressive, but listed as semi-aggressive. I just want it to be stated that the possibility is there. I never had issues with my chalk bass with aggression. It was very timid as the other fish in the tank bullied it and it only came out during feeding time.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
They aren't aggressive, but listed as semi-aggressive. I just want it to be stated that the possibility is there. I never had issues with my chalk bass with aggression. It was very timid as the other fish in the tank bullied it and it only came out during feeding time.
Poor guy! They are such great fish!
Old 03-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not worried about the aggression. I dont plan on puting any other fish in with them. The only thing I'm worried about is the engineer bleny I have that likes to eat anything that fits in it's mouth.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

How many would fit in a 55gal tank?

Tags
bass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com